T1 Problems

I’ve got a bouncing T1 that causes dropped calls and momentary loss of internet. The message I see on Asterisk is “WARNING[4691] chan_zap.c: No D-channels available! Using Primary channel 24 as D-channel anyway!”

My logs show that message cropping up occasionally since a year ago. But it was just a few times a month. In June (as temperatures rose?) it got worse. We finally began to take notice on the 15th, when it started dropping our calls many times a day.

The Adtran gets a red light. The smartjack, unfortunately, is not near the other equipment. I had someone watch it once as the line dropped and he saw a yellow HCRC light flash once.

AT&T has tested their lines to hell and back and can find nothing. We’ve replaced the Adtran, the smartjack, and the line between the two.

I’m running a VS1 with Asterisk 1.2 and a TE110P.

Could this be caused by my VS1? If so, what can I do or test?

Has anyone else had similar experience, where the phone company was unable to find problems with their lines? What was the cause and eventual resolution?

Because the data part of the T1 is dropped at the same time the voice is I would immediatley suspect the telco side of the smartjack, the smartjack itself and/or the Adtran but it seems like that has been more or less covered. Its possible Asterisk is sending back some funky messages back through the systems and the telco is resetting the T1.

Does the T1 (data and voice) drop only when there is voice traffic? If not what happens if you disconnect the voice T1 (at night or weekend)?

If the T1 drops without the Asterisk server connected the telco has an issue (assuming they “own/service” everything up to and including the adtran).

If the T1 stays up its most likely the Asterisk server and\or the T1 card is doig something bad. Try putting the TE110P in a test server and see if you still get the same issues, or get a new T1 card and tray that in the server you have now.

This is a tough one, my guess is its on the telco side. If you swap cards and/or server and it still happens at least you have more ammo to fire away at the telco.

Spent Saturday building/configuring a new Asterisk box. Saturday evening, more drops.

Definitely not my Asterisk causing the problem.

[quote]Does the T1 (data and voice) drop only when there is voice traffic?[/quote] No, it will drop when there is no voice traffic. It does seem to drop more when there is heavier usage though.

My boss called the president of Logix and got a promise that, if after I replaced Asterisk we still had problems, they would put in a brand new T1 at their expense.

We shall see how long THAT takes them.

And whether that solves the problem.

Did you use a different T1 card in the new box? If you did - I totally agree its the T1. Good luck - one of the T1’s I had installed at my work took almost 6 months!

[quote=“swaterhouse”]Did you use a different T1 card in the new box? If you did - I totally agree its the T1. Good luck - one of the T1’s I had installed at my work took almost 6 months![/quote]Yes, whole new box, nothing the same from it until the Adtran.

Yesterday, they re-provisioned us “as if we were a new customer”. New network routing.

We had no drops last night. Keeping my fingers crossed.