Supersede the extension given at the begining of voicemail?

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to remove or supersede the voice prompt that gives the extension number when a user leaves voicemail?

Ideally, I would like to be able to give a different extension number to vocalize as an optional argument.

I have a number of users who have more then one phone and have different extensions for them. I have a macro set up so they can all point at a common voicemail extension. The problem is that blurb mentions the voicemail extension which may or may not be the extension the caller dialed. This leads to confusion on the callers end.

For example, my first extension is 1 and I use that VM box

I have an extension 2 that rings my cell. I keep VM turned off on my cell so Asterisk will deal with it. Extension 2 uses VM box 1. This works and the blurb reflects box 1, but I want it to say box 2 so the caller is not confused.

I have 4 extensions like this and I want them to all use one common VM box, this works well, with the exception of the blurb being very confusing.

This seems easy enough to solve by editing the source, but before I resort to that, is there a nicer way to do what I am trying to do?

Hi,

Go to the CLI and type show application VoiceMail I think you want the S option

s - Skip the playback of instructions for leaving a message to the
calling party.

Here are three ways to use it.

[test1]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/901&SIP/903,30,Tt)
exten => s,3,Background(/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/my_message)
exten => s,4,Voicemail(903|s)
exten => s,5,HangUp()

[test2]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/901&SIP/903,30,Tt)
exten => s,3,Playback(vm-theperson)
exten => s,4,SayDigits(903)
exten => s,5,Playback(vm-isunavail)
exten => s,6,Playback(vm-intro)
exten => s,7,Voicemail(903|s)
exten => s,8,PlayBack(vm-goodbye)
exten => s,9,HangUp()

[test3]
exten => _9XX,1,Dial(SIP/901,30,Tt)
exten => _9XX,2,Background(/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/my_message_903)
exten => _9XX,3,Voicemail(903|s)
exten => _9XX,4,PlayBack(vm-goodbye)
exten => _9XX,5,HangUp()

Howdy,

Thanks for the reply, but the s option does not do what I need it to do. FYI, the S option still plays the blurb “the person at extension x is Y” the part the s switch skips is leave a message at the beep or hit the pound key for more options.

If you look at the source the function invent_message is always called, then the s switch conditinally plays the rest of the instructions.

Must be something else as this works for me I don’t get “the person at extension x is Y”

Hi,

Had another look at it and ran a few tests;

If I do this;
exten => s,3,Voicemail(903|u)

I get the "the person at extension 903 is unavailable"
and “please leave your message after the tone when done hangup or press the pound key”.

If I do this;
exten => s,3,Voicemail(903)
“please leave your message after the tone when done hangup or press the pound key”.

If I do this;
exten => s,3,Voicemail(903|s)
All I get is a beep

Cool, and thanks for the reply! I will try leaving the B and the U off. BTW what version of Asterisk are you running? The system I am playing with is running Asterisk 1.4.15.

Here is what the macro I am playing with…

exten => s,1,NoOp()
exten => s,n,NoOp(_________________________ARG1 (EXT): ${ARG1}
exten => s,n,NoOp(_________________________ARG2 (VMB): ${ARG2}
exten => s,n,Dial(${ARG1},20,r)
exten => s,n,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)
exten => s-NOANSWER,1,Voicemail(${ARG2}|u)
exten => s-NOANSWER,n,Playback(goodbye)
exten => s-NOANSWER,n,Hangup
;exten => s-NOANSWER,2,Goto(incoming,s,1)
exten => s-BUSY,1,Voicemail(${ARG2}|b)
exten => s-BUSY,n,Playback(goodbye)
exten => s-BUSY,n,hangup
;exten => s-BUSY,2,Goto(incoming,s,1)
exten => _s-.,1,Goto(s-NOANSWER,1)

Thanks again for taking the time to experiment!

exten => s,3,Voicemail(903)
“please leave your message after the tone when done hangup or press the pound key”.

Works here for me as well. I never thought about not using the u or the b option. I still think it would be nice to have a way to override the default extension blurb if you use the u or the b option, but at least what I have now is less confusing to the caller then what I had before.

Many thanks!