[SOLVED]Installing Asterisk 1.8

I have already being using asterisk 1.6 which is working very much to the expectation. But then with this new 1.8 release I thought to give it a try. So I tool a new system installed centos 5.5 and then installed asterisk 1.8.9.3 according to the steps found here
freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/in … stallation
after make install when I try to do “amportal stop”, it says “amportal command unknown”. Then I tried to run “asterisk -r” and it gives “Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?”. I tried reboot but still no luck. The asterisk folder under /etc is also empty.
I then tried on 2 different system and results the same. Am I not doing it right? Please suggest. Also are there any steps that I can follow to upgrade my existing asterisk 1.6 to 1.8?
I would really appreciate any help here.

Thanks,.

I think I found it. The command below updated my asterisk to 1.8.9.2.
yum update --enablerepo=asterisk-1.8

Looks like most of the functions are working fine. Only thing I see is this annoying line when I login to the asterisk CLI.
[2012-03-04 01:16:18] WARNING[27932]: res_musiconhold.c:659 monmp3thread: poll() failed: Interrupted system call

And I this is taking up CPU. Any suggestions as to why this is showing and how to stop it?

hi:
maybe res_musiconhold is a problem, please check that.

hey James, could you please point me into a right direction, where should I begin to look for res_musiconhold, any idea what could be the problem?

thanks,

I found it. I had this shoutcast streaming moh added which when removed the error disappeared.

Thanks all.