Solid state setup/pc

Can anyone say/share information where are they purchase Solid state setup/pc widhout OS etc.?

I would also like to know of a solid state box as well with one pci slot for my TDM400 card.

At the moment i have a combined Asterisk/MythTV box but would like to move Asterisk to a solid state box and install more dvb-s cards for MythTV.

For small setups with IP phones and sip or IAX call termination you can hack a netgear NSLU2 (about $90 and small) and USB memory stick or a USB hard disk. You can use something along the lines of a Grnadstream GXW410x if you really enjoy pain and want to use copper and do your own call termination. You can also use something like a grandstream GXW400x FXS box if you are hung up on using your old analog phones.

I have one slug set up with a 2 gig USB thumb drive, a buch of SIP phones and and an IAX call termination service. So far (a few months) and she is still running strong.

There must be a solid state unit out there somewhere that would take a TDM400 pci card!

If not, then there’s definitely an opening for a hardware manufacturer. Built in UPS would be great too.

I need to retain the TDM card for my pots line.

Anyone?

:frowning:

Why are you so hung up on local copper? You pay way more for less services.

Why not Copper??

Maybe he has 4 phone lines from awhile ago and needs to run the on asterisk.

I think his main point is inbound calls and not outbound calls, youre only looking at this from one angle.

BTW, I’m in the wholesale business, and TDM is always the preffered method due to quality.

I just ordered an asus eee 900 mhz 8gb solid state memory storage and 2 gb memory for testing with asterisk. If it works I think it is a pretty good device to run an asterisk server. (relativly cheap, build to last, no moving parts, running linux, hardly no power useage, need hardly no space)

Why stick to the pci cards. There are device like delivered by xorcom that can perfectly be used for internconnecting. Taken the price and size of a card and the asus eee minilaptop into consideration they should add the card to the minilaptop and still sell it as a card.

You save yourself a lot of trouble, risks and costs f you find a business class ITP that can do the internconnection for you and delivers you a IAX2 trunk or SIP trunk for your Asterisk box.

astlinux.org/node/14

I have done it both ways, with copper and using an IP based provider.

I have done copper two ways, with a 4 FXO port Digium card and with an 8 port Grandstream sip based FXO gateway.

I no longer have any copper.

The quality I got from both copper solutions was acceptable, but the costs where high. I seem to recall the Digium board running about $300 and the Grnadstream box being about $500. Then there is the $50+ a month per line charge from the telco I pay regardless of utilization, and still pay wicked high domestic and international long distance on top of that.

Now I use an IAX based provider. I pay $7 to set up a new line, whcih can be in just about any exchange in the US or even a toll free number, I pay $2 a month for the line, and 2.9 cents a minute. Oh, and each number you purchace will accept up to 25 inbound calls at the same time.

The quality is as good, if not better then the quality I got from dealing with my own local copper. My costs have went way down. I have one less piece of infastructure to deal with. One less expensive part that I can not procure at the local best buy to worry about.

To me it is a no brainer. I really can not see how the old school telco’s are going to stay afloat. In an era where IP is blowing the pants off of them in every meteric I can think of, rather then becoming more competitive, they keep raising prices. And while I see their old copper plants grow less and less reliable, I see the new IP services growning more and more relliable.

If you want a super low cost solid state solution to for a small home system, see a few posts above. Cheep, easy, and reliable.

HI,

IP is good but are you using the Internet to get to your provider?
The call quality can’t be guaranteed.

You are 100 percent correct.

Then again, back when I had a lot of copper, after a good rain we would have static and noise on the lines and the telco was not very good about doing anything about that. We also suffered brief outages and they never really did anything about that either. So, the telco took no corrective action and never comped us on the bill.

The IP based provider has bent over backwards with us to pinpoint nad resolve any issued we have had. To date, they have all been resolvable. While I never asked them to comp me, to some extent when you pay as you go, if you can’t go, you don’t pay. When the entire business model is based on the pay as you go mentality, issues seem to get resolved a lot faster then you pay a flat fee.

Contrast the check out line at walmart vs the post office, or dmv.

Also, what is the guarantee you get from the traditional telco? Outside of the guarantee you will pay higher rates for less service.

look at soekris.com they ahve boxes that will take TDM hardware and use CF cards for HDDs

just make sure you are writting logs elsewhere so you dont burn out the flash prematurely

The reason i need to retain my copper line is for emergency services.

I have a combined asterisk/mythtv/workstation box at home.
I want to split Asterisk on to it’s own low powered unit to limit the chances of it going belly up.

I’ve been Googling and think the via range of fanless processor mainboards may be the way to go.
A Morex Cubid 2677R case could be used to house it. This case has an external ‘brick’ style power pack (so now fans/moving parts).
Asterisk could be installed on compact flash instead of a hard disk (no moving parts/no heat).

Mainboard here: linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10132
Case here: mini-itx.com/reviews/2677R/