Separating Calls

I am new to Asterisk, but we are working to see if it will replace the functionality we have with a 3com NBX 100 system.

The only thing I am having a hard time doing is that on the old system we could separate calls and have them answered differently.

We had four lines set up as rollovers coming in and were used as customer service lines. They all were answered by the customer service hunt group. A fifth line was answered by an auto attendant and was the corporate information / administration phone primarily for vendors to call in on.

Is there a way to do this with Asterisk? I have installed asterisk@home 1.5 and am using that now.

patrick

Sure

You can set up your 4 lines in a hunt (ACD) group. You have serveral options, round robin or most available or 'ring all. You can put an IVR in front of that call group and allow the customers to either goto your customerservice group or to your autoattendant (press 1 for this, press 2 for that, etc)

You can also have the ACD group fail over to a voicemail box or to another autoattendant. That functionality can be achieved with @home and completely through the gui.

Thank you for your response.

The system we were using before would allow those lines to be answered with different scripts depending on which line was dialed in on.

The single, fifth line, was a corporate “Thank you for calling ABC Co” greeting and the other four would go to a “Thank you for calling DEF Co” initial greeting. Our company is “ABC”, but we would like to be able to set up so that a customer calling the four could go directly to the DBA of our company “DEF” and possibly add additional lines that would allow other customers to call in and get “GHI” so that there is not confusion between the company names. This was possible in the NBX system.

Is that an option?

I apologize. I just thought of a cleaner way to ask the question.

Is there a way to run two separate businesses on one Asterisk box?

[quote=“husker5010”]I apologize. I just thought of a cleaner way to ask the question.

Is there a way to run two separate businesses on one Asterisk box?[/quote]

Yup, just keep everything in seperate contexts and trunks. I am using a TDM04 and have 2 companies running (2 lines each) and everything is seperate (menus, voicemail, etc.) Contexts and macros can really help here.