Resetting ZAP procedures

About 3 weeks ago a 4-port TE410P card was installed in my Asterisk system on a Dell Poweredge 2950. This is a TEST prototype system I am building.

As I make changes to /etc/zaptel.conf and /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf - I know I can run:

ZTCFG -VVVV

to check the configurations (which also appears to issue some type of reset with Asterisk). And if I do a:

CLI> RELOAD

Asterisk appears to reload all of the modules. But it seems like I am missing something else. Sometimes my changes don’t appear to work correctly until I issue a “REBOOT” at the linux prompt, and restart the whole machine (before copying the .conf files to .conf.zapscan, naturally).

Can someone explain to me the process of restarting, unloading, and reloading the modules and components involved with ZAP after I make changes to the zaptel.conf and zapata.conf files - to cleanly reinitialize that part of the system?

Service asterisk stop
Service zaptel?? resart
Service asterisk start

I dont remember if the zaptel service is actually called zaptel but that should be easy to find.

PS we are running Asterisk BE on a Poweredge 2950 with no issues and have dual pri card and a 24 port analouge card.

Good Luck

after making changes to zaptel configs you need to stop asterisk
run ztcfg
then start asterisk

reload will not update all your zaptel configs unfortunately… some settings can be changed doing a reload, but the majority require a restart

Ok thanks for the replies! To make a long story short, I was making a bunch of changes and didnt realize they werent actually posted until a reboot or total restart.

Someone should contact Digium and the editors for FUTURE OF TELEPHONY and see that they ADD THAT information to the sections that explain how to install and configure the ZAP system…