Random freezeups

Only when a Digium TDM2400P card is inserted in the system. Happens on 3 different systems. (2 identical SOYO mobos, and an ASUS). I’m using SuSE, and it worked fine for a couple weeks, then the system blew up during a software update and I’ve been unable to get it back up and running since then (about a month now?). OS won’t even successfully install with the Digium card.

Ideas? Is there some setting I can change, can the board be “reset” somehow? Bad board?

What do you mean by “the system blew up during a software update”? What happens when you try to load the driver for the TDM2400P? If Suse upgraded your kernel during it’s update process then you will need to recompile zaptel.

The kernel update turned all my data space on my hard drive into swap space!

Zaptel is pre-compiled for SuSE, it’s just a package. I’m not doing anything different loading the OS this time, versus the first time, but I’m getting all these random freezeups that did not happen before.

Sounds like the whole Suse install is messed up and the freezing isn’t caused by the TDM2400P. Once that is sorted out, I would recommend using latest Zaptel as I imagine Suse doesn’t have the latest package.

Well, the big problem is that it worked fine before.

I’ve wiped the system and started over and it doesn’t work now. It also won’t work on either of 2 other systems I’ve tried. :frowning: I’ve even installed SuSE (same exact version!), minus the card and it works fine. As soon as I plug the card in, I start having problems while booting. Sometimes locking up, sometimes it’ll boot, but my NIC won’t come up, etc. Remove the Digium card and I’m fine again!

I’ll try getting the latest zaptel and see what happens. However, I don’t understand why the old zaptel would work fine for awhile and now not work at all.

Here’s more info. Besides the freezeup issues, (which is the main thing) I decided to go ahead and configure asterisk again (ours is a very simple config). I’m getting the following in the asterisk messages file:

Mar 27 15:16:13 ERROR[8372] chan_zap.c: Unable to open channel 1: No such devicehere = 0, tmp->channel = 1, channel = 1
Mar 27 15:16:13 ERROR[8372] chan_zap.c: Unable to register channel '1’
Mar 27 15:16:13 WARNING[8372] loader.c: chan_zap.so: load_module failed, returning -1
Mar 27 15:16:13 WARNING[8372] loader.c: Loading module chan_zap.so failed!

My ztcfg seems to go fine though:
asterisk:/etc # ztcfg -vv

Zaptel Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 03)
Channel 04: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 04)

4 channels configured.

Changing signalling on channel 1 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Changing signalling on channel 2 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Changing signalling on channel 3 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Changing signalling on channel 4 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart

And the modules seem to be loaded…
asterisk:/etc # lsmod | grep zt
ztdummy 7816 0
zaptel 183172 2 ztdummy,wctdm24xxp

It sounds like Kudzu or something similar in Suse it trying to load drivers automatically. It maybe trying to load a NIC driver for the TDM2400P and therefor the driver for the real NIC never gets loaded because it thinks the TDM2400P is the NIC.

To get rid of the kudzu stuff that is already stored edit:
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf

And remove the TDM2400P section

Then edit /etc/modprobe.conf and remove any aliases of eth0 for wctdm24xxp.

If you reboot and it detects the TDM2400P again, select IGNORE

[quote=“angler”]
To get rid of the kudzu stuff that is already stored edit:
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf

And remove the TDM2400P section

Then edit /etc/modprobe.conf and remove any aliases of eth0 for wctdm24xxp.[/quote]

• /etc/sysconfig/hwconf doesn’t exist on my system :frowning:

• no wctdm entries in my modprobe.conf either.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks!

Hrm. I don’t know where Suse puts this stuff. Another reason why I don’t like Suse. Pretty much going to have to find where this info is stored and remove it.

Try this:

1. Pull TDM2400P out of the system
  2. boot back up
  3. when Kudzu says it doesn’t detect the tdm2400p any longer, select REMOVE
  4. Reboot system again
  5. Kudzu should detect the card again, select IGNORE for the TDM2400P

Modules should all load fine now.

[quote=“angler”]Try this:

1. Pull TDM2400P out of the system
  2. boot back up
  3. when Kudzu says it doesn’t detect the tdm2400p any longer, select REMOVE
  4. Reboot system again
  5. Kudzu should detect the card again, select IGNORE for the TDM2400P

Modules should all load fine now.[/quote]

Hmmm. Well. I don’t know what kudzu is, but I don’t think SuSE uses that. If I boot up minus the card, I don’t have any issues whatsoever. As soon as the card is back in the random freezeups during boot come back (plus the card doesn’t work).

I sent in a support request to Digium back a couple weeks ago (or longer? I didn’t even post here until I was worried that they weren’t going to respond. Either they’re as confused as me about the problem, or they’re really backed up with work now) and they finally got back to me last night. Going to RMA the card…