Question: Load Balancing

What if we where to get a T1 <24 channels> and just to jack that thing into the back of our Asterisk Server… with the appropriate card of course.

Is it possible to split that in half for voice the other for data and then have load balancing?

Better yet… how would one go about that without spending tons of money.

Thanks.

considering you are asking for a t1 line in my area they cost 3000 dollars a month what part of spending money are you talking about?

HAHA

Good point.

Money isn’t really the issue as per se on my end… we are a provider preping for a asterisk system deployment.

But there will be that client who will wan’t a T1 setup with Asterisk sooner or later.

So that said…

What would be the most efficent way in a 50/50 divided T1 Voice/Data respectivly in load balancing.

Say voice was real quiet… so the data would get more bandwidth… stuff like that.

Can Asterisk do that? Or do you suggest something else?

The most expensive route would be like buying a Cisco router to play middle man…

I know Linux servers can play the router game too… but is Asterisk able to do that in-itself?

Trying not to sound like a total noob here : O P

:slight_smile:

The idea is to be efficent… not so much as expensive.

Id rather have the most expensive part of our deployment be the T1 line they are installing instead something that could possibly be handled by Asterisk.

Asterisk does not really come into play here.

any load balance would happen BEFORE asterisk comes in to play

What you are asking is not really load balancing.
You are looking a dynamic allotting of voice channels / data channels

You would be looking at the TELCO for this and the split would be better done by them anyway.

With most of ther telco which sell the T-1 and split out channels for data and phone the end user never really sees it, if only two lines or used then only 128k is used for phones the rest is for INET access.

there are so many ways to break out of telco and go into asterisk it is really a job by job setup.

I have a customer who has a CLEC T-1 any “Phone lines” from them are useless for asterisk as the lag time causes echo to be heard.

I have another which had no problem breaking out some “pots” lines for asterisk to use and we get TOLL call sound.

I can find very few telco’s who will even to you about using the lines for asterisk…u get the HUH…what is that?

I was surpised when I spoke to SCB last week to order more paths on a pots line, the rep ask what I needed them for and I said we have more channels than paths, and she said OH, are you running a server like asterisk?
I said yes, she said “we get alot of that now”.

Surpise surpise…Telco’s catching up.

your thinking that voice has something to do with data

which in voip it does but in POTS lines it doesnt
why like bubba explained the pots lines are split by the phone company into two different channels

now say you decide to go all data and get a dry loop line instead then i would say voip with QOS. but considering your ideas depending on the demand i think you need alot of testing or research.

my setup is one voip line with 6 extensions on a P4 2.4 with 1 gig ram
my work load doesnt really go much over .29 or 29% of cpu processing power, and i host 8 virtual websites which probably dont get alot of hits.
needless to say i do alot with php and it drags down the machine since its compiled on realtime.

with my six extensions i might use two or three at the same time considering G7LLU codec would use 64k each way
this eats bandwidth fast.
3meg download runs at 2.7
864kupload runs at 619K up

three lines roughly 200K up and down
reality is they use 90K - 110K for some reason

now if you used codec g729 you could get it down 16K but realize this takes alot of processing power of the computer.

i hope this helps you in your expedition