Query before Installation

Hi,
I am anew to asterisk.
We are using 6 Avaya ip office 500 in different locations.My questions are
1)Can i install Asterisknow in server and create extensions and that can be used by softphones only ?

2)Extensions created using Asterisk can communicate with Avaya extensions and vice versa?

1. if i have to create trunk line or some short codes ,should it be done all Avaya Boxes?

4)Extension numbering convention should be same?(4 digit or 5 digit)?

1. Asterisk extensions can make outcall using the existing PSTN(connected with Avaya) which is available in 3 locations ?

2. Asterisk extensions created in a single installation can be used across different locations?

Sorry for being naive and too many questions

Regards
Murugan

1)Can i install Asterisknow in server and create extensions and that can be used by softphones only ?
---- Yes, you don’t need any hardware telephones at all

2)Extensions created using Asterisk can communicate with Avaya extensions and vice versa?
---- Not sure on this one as I haven’t got an Avaya to test

1. if i have to create trunk line or some short codes ,should it be done all Avaya Boxes?
    ---- Again not sure about the Avaya box

4)Extension numbering convention should be same?(4 digit or 5 digit)?
---- This doesn’t really matter to Asterisk as you can set a 4 or 5 digital inbound route to ring any Asterisk phone

1. Asterisk extensions can make outcall using the existing PSTN(connected with Avaya) which is available in 3 locations ?
    ---- To do this you’d have to either route via the Avaya or unplug the Avaya and completely replace it with the Asterisk system

2. Asterisk extensions created in a single installation can be used across different locations?
    ---- You can create IAX2 trunks between your Asterisk systems so that extensions on one can ring extensions on another

[quote=“leemason”]
6) Asterisk extensions created in a single installation can be used across different locations?
---- You can create IAX2 trunks between your Asterisk systems so that extensions on one can ring extensions on another[/quote]

Asterisk’s ability to transform numbers is very good, so you can create unified numbering systems using any trunk technology that can forward dialed digits.

As Lee continually mentions, the difficulty in answering most of these questions is that few people have any knowledge about Avaya.

OK, from the Avaya connection point of view have a look at this link: cyril-constantin.blogspot.co.uk/ … html#links. This is using H.323 for the connection. However having look around this worked for some but not others and many seem to have gone for an ISDN-PRI connection.

Thanks Lee & David

Murugan

Let us know how you get on.

Lee