Pushing call back to Voicemail

I’m using “follow me” with 10-12 extensions in it, and I want to have the ability to reject a call while on the phone, and have that call sent directly to voice mail, instead of continuing to ring on the other extensions. All callers are directed to a primary extension, so it’s not like their calling different extensions either.

Right now, the call will only go to voice mail once it times out according to the predefined ring time, which means I hear the call ringing the other extensions while I’m still talking on one of the phones.

It’s particularly bad if I’m on one of my (handsfree) Polycom Soundstations. I know there has to be some way to get around this…and using a Queue won’t give me what I want either. Ringall -prim won’t work for me, as often, I’m not at the primary extension.

All of these extensions use the same mailbox as well…so I’m thinking there has to be some way to do this…

Thanks
Steve…

If you are referring to the & notation in Dial, Asterisk (1.6.1.0 at least) has no concept of Busy Everywhere, so will continue trying until it gets an answer or all the destinations reject the call.

You might be able to code something that answered but didn’t bridge for a second or two, and treated a clear in that time as being a reject, but implementing a forced reject would mean playing with app_dial.c, and also with the core and chan_sip, as you would need to add a new AST_CONTROL_?? message.

I’m on FreePBX 15.0.16.81, Asterisk 17.7.0 and I see the same thing when using Follow-Me and the hunt-prim strategy. My main extension is 100 (the one with Follow me setup), the follow me list includes (101, some external number). When extension 100 is on the phone and it gets dialed I see the call. When I reject it instead of the call going to voicemail it goes on to ring extension 101 and the external number. I believe this goes again what was listed here under So What is This “-prim” Anyhow?

Also, the original dialing of extension 100 was not due a previous Follow Me.

This thread is 9 years old and this forum doesn’t support FreePBX.

Theoretically you should reject the call with an everywhere variant of the rejection reason, but my understanding is that Asterisk doesn’t respect that distinction, not even in chan_psip, which is new since the thread started.

For FreePBX peer support, use https://community.freepbx.org/

With hindsight, I think the original issue also related to a GUI, rather than to Asterisk.

I figured I didn’t want to create a new issue for something that existed.

As far as:

Theoretically you should reject the call with an everywhere variant of the rejection reason, but my understanding is that Asterisk doesn’t respect that distinction, not even in chan_psip, which is new since the thread started.

Can I take that to mean that the issue does lie in Asterisk? If so then posting here is the right place.

It’s only an issue for Asterisk when you try to dial multiple devices in parallel, either using Dial and &, or Queue and ringall. Asterisk wouldn’t prevent one from handling reject everywhere responses in the traditional understanding of hunt groups, or follow me, as they can be implemented with Dial and only one Dial would be active at at time, so the response code could be checked, by the dialpan, after each step in the chain.

The big problem though is that the terminology you are using refers to an abstraction created by the GUI, so one needs to know both what that abstraction is, and also how it is implemented, to understand whether Asterisk itself is the show stopper.

Actually, if you dialed local channels in parallel, and had any that received an everywhere failure do a channel redirect on the caller, you ought to be able to handle this even for parallel calling.