PoE question

Do I need some sort of special network switches to support PoE? If so, do most phones (Aastra 9133i and 480i specifically) come with supplementary power adapters for those of us who don’t have any of this magical networking equipment?

Thanks

Hi

OK this is a yes no yes answer

Yes you will need POE enabled lan but no you donot need POE enabled switces as you can get for a small quantity of sets POE single supplies. for large deployments you can use Midspan units from redhawk or powerdsine

Aastra sets do not come with any power supply (except the 9112) a single POE block costs ?15 and a midspan unit comes in at about ?20 per port. based on a 24 port Unit

Ian

Hi

Yes you will need POE enabled lan but no you donot need POE enabled switces as you can get for a small quantity of sets POE single supplies. for large deployments you can use Midspan units from redhawk or powerdsine

Aastra sets do not come with any power supply (except the 9112) a single POE block costs ?15 and a midspan unit comes in at about ?20 per port. based on a 24 port Unit

Ian

Hi

Hi

Yes a lot switches do not supply POE there are some devices that you can add to you network to inject POE see link as an example
dlink.com/products/?pid=332
powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/PD_6500.asp

Yes most phones can also use a power adapters

Not Aastras, Mitels, Ciscos And possibly some Polycom, Basicly most “enterprise” level phones only now support POE.

Ian

Not Aastras, Mitels, Ciscos And possibly some Polycom, Basicly most “enterprise” level phones only now support POE.

My bad thought the Asatra still did

[/quote]
don’t the 9113i and 9112i still have a 48v socket on the underside ? i think it would be also worth pointing out the possibility of using a PoE injector at this point, you could call this a “power adapter”.

The 9112i doesnt support POE at all and comes with a power adaptor, The 9133i does support a wall adaptor but one is not supplied and as such POE is a far better option. The 480i is POE only.
I have mentioned the POE injector and it “could” be called the power adaptor but The destinction has to be made that only the 9112i comes with any sort of supply, So when pricing up systems you have to budget in the power supply costs. On one recent install we spent almost as much on powerdsine kit as we did on phones.

Ian

ian,

not disagreeing with you at all, PoE is the way to go. the fact that phones need power at all comes as a bit of a surprise to most users, they’re so used to a single plug … hey it works.

i didn’t see your port about a single PoE block … apologies.

Strange, the AAstras i’ve gotten all include a power brick. I usually end up with a stack of them :smile:. 9133i and 480i-ct(cordless) i know do come with them, unless they changed (I have a stack of the bricks sitting here…).

Many phones do include the brick, but it varies. Look up the particular phone.

If on a budget, Netgear makes a small 8 port PoE switch with 4 powered ports, it’s about $150.

Hi.

In the UK the 480i and 9133i definatly do not have a power supply with them. If they did I would have a crate of them having just rolle out a 70 user site and shipped many more to mail order customers. The 480i even has the socket position blanked off. Not sure about the CT version.

Ian

Every Aastra phone that I’ve purchased (480i and 9133i) here in the US has come with an AC power adapter without having to ask for it.

I believe their entire IP phone product line is PoE 802.3af compatible. So, one has the option of powering up with a wall-wart or using PoE switches/injectors with any Aastra phone in my experience.

Sometimes an adapter of some sort is in order. PanOptic Technology makes quite a few elegant solutions for providing power to both PoE and non-PoE devices over Cat-5 cabling:
panoptictechnology.com/netwo … -adapters/