PBX Multihosting

My employer has decided to move us to a new building in about a month and we’re looking at migrating to a more advanced phone system (as opposed to just having a half-dozen phone lines in here). We currently run two small businesses out of here and would like to have them share the same phone system.

I’m currently looking at Asterisk@Home but it doesn’t seem to want to allow me to set things up the way that I want (at least not that I can tell). Here’s what we’d like to do.

Each company will have the following:

• (2) PSTN Lines
  • (2) VoIP lines

Based on which line a call comes in on, I would like the correct company’s menu to come up. Employees should not have access to a phone line that isn’t one of the 4 for their company.

While it is not required, I would like to be able to have people in either company can call each other without having to use two phone lines (one going out, one coming back in). If that is possible, I’d like an internal menu that will give a complete directory listing of all of the people in both companies so that employees don’t have to memorize 20 or 30 different numbers.

Is all that possible with Asterisk@Home? If not (which I’m betting is the case), is it possible with Asterisk? If so, can anyone point me to a working example or a guide book that deals with this sort of thing?

I don’t know if you can do this with asterisk@home … I never tried it but i think that with asterisk you can do it. Im not sure of what you want to do but me there is a menu playing if im calling and other menu when somebody else is calling
The best site i know for asterisk www.voip-info.org

aah shouldn’t be considered a complete, non-modifiable asterisk distro. it’s “just” a collection of OS, asterisk and add-ons, that happens to be very well done and a great way to start.

in your shoes i would probably use aah to get a basic install up and running with trunks, IVRs, ring groups, DIDs etc. then stop using AMP and get into modifying the config files manually. you want to read up on contexts until you can’t take any more … then you know how to add trunks/extensions in such a way that you can acheive what you want.

I’ve actually been looking around on that site but the only page that I could find was this one:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Dialplan%20Introduction

… and all that page says is:

I was hoping for something a little more “How To” oriented, especially since that phrase is in the official handbook.

Alternatively, I just talked to my boss and he isn’t opposed to just having two boxes. Again, that assumes that someone homed on one box could call someone on the other box without using two phone lines. Anyone have a link to something like that?

No need fo two boxes. I am basically doing what you want have 3 diiferent companys on 1 box. There is a lot of good info on that site. I would suggest setting up asterisk to play with never used the @home. But when setting up asterisk after you get it installed you can do a make sample and it will make sample conf files for you with a lot of examples

you can also use this for searching
google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

[quote=“rusty”]No need fo two boxes. I am basically doing what you want have 3 diiferent companys on 1 box. There is a lot of good info on that site. I would suggest setting up asterisk to play with never used the @home. But when setting up asterisk after you get it installed you can do a make sample and it will make sample conf files for you with a lot of examples

you can also use this for searching
google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search[/quote]

Do you have individual POTS lines coming into your Asterisk box (using an S400P) or do you have a T1 or something of that nature? As I’ve been reading more about AMP, it looks to me like you can only use multiple incoming menus if your phone lines support DID. In my case, I’m not sure that they do. Is there anyway that I can tell? Is that something that I can request from the phone company when my new lines are installed?

Even if a setup like I want is possible without DID, is it possible to still use some kind of management GUI? While I don’t care about GUIs and am more than comfortable mucking around in config files, my boss is not.

My setup is a little out of the ordinary. I am using the 4 port T1card. I have T1 lines DID circuits and pots. In the process of porting most of my numbers over to the PRI.
Till the conversion is done I am connecting my pots lines to Adtran 750 channel banks wich connect to the T1 card. Each store has 1 number and 5 pots lines these are rollover lines when you dial the number it will go to the first line that is not busy.
DID is a line where the phone company sends you the number that was dialed so you can have mutiple numbers on the line and you can have them rollover also so if first line is busy it will go to the next

Cant say much about the GUI I do not use them.

We currently have roll-over on our POTS lines. Does that mean that we have DID?

DID is where the phone company is sending you the number the party called. Example I have a 7 DID circuits in my office I have phone numbers starting at 880-0000 to 880-9999 and every number inbetween.
when you call 880-0001 the phone company sends the number to me then my asterisk bos routes according to my dialplan.
On a pots line you never recieve the dialed number just ringvoltage to let you know a call is coming in

[quote=“rusty”]DID is where the phone company is sending you the number the party called. Example I have a 7 DID circuits in my office I have phone numbers starting at 880-0000 to 880-9999 and every number inbetween.
when you call 880-0001 the phone company sends the number to me then my asterisk bos routes according to my dialplan.
On a pots line you never recieve the dialed number just ringvoltage to let you know a call is coming in[/quote]

Ah, so I’m kind of screwed then on the easy setup using DID Routing. Oh well…

That being said then, since I’m only going to have 4 POTS phone lines, plus a half-dozen or so VoIP lines, I’m probably just best off going with the two boxes. I have plenty of “low-end” systems around here that would be perfect and that would allow me to keep using the @Home version with the nice GUI.

Thanks for all your help! I’ll probably be back soon with more questions.

Look at Phonecall vecsector.com/phonecall/ I have just found it, it seems to do much of what you are looking for.

Tareef