No quit or exit in *CLI

i just compiled *1.2.7.1 and apparently something is not right…

Everything works great until i want to exit out of the * console.

the message pops up

but entering in “quit” or “exit” says that these commands are not found, and i can’t exit except via terminating the terminal. I can type ! to acess regualr CLI, but I want to quit it.

perhaps a symlink is missing? any thoughts?

Which command are you using when starting asterisk ?

a basic verbosity console command, at least that is how it was working in my other 1.2.5 asterisk box…

asterisk -vvvvvc 

i think it worked with the 1.2.1 version that was the default package. it definitely works on my 1.2.5 version on another box. i updated since certain functions like privacy manager didn’t work correctly.

directions on how i compiled the 1.2.7.1 (maybe this will help)

apt-get install cvs make gcc g++ libncurses5-dev libssl-dev zlib1g-dev 

this updated the packages

wget http://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/asterisk-1.2.7.1.tar.gz tar -zxf asterisk-1.2.7.1.tar.gz cd asterisk-1.2.7.1 nano -w Makefile
changed all ASTVARRUN from /var/run to /var/run/asterisk make make install

it gave a message that some modules may be outdated but asterisk did not overwrite them. perhaps its a an old module issue?

The problem is coming from the way you start Asterisk. If you are not using a script, try “asterisk &”. I just tried and it work very well. Then, to log in the CLI, use asterisk -r.

If you want to had verbose in the CLI : set verbose 3

Try this you could also look in the wiki for a startup script

– it gave a message that some modules may be outdated but asterisk did not overwrite them. perhaps its a an old module issue?

You should delete all the modules before to update Asterisk.

[quote=“Dimitripietro”]The problem is coming from the way you start Asterisk. If you are not using a script, try “asterisk &”. I just tried and it work very well. Then, to log in the CLI, use asterisk -r.

[/quote]

I had not seen this info before. i guess that is a difference in compiling vs a pre-compiled asterisk. thanks, i’ll give it ago later o today."

voip-info.org/wiki/index.php … d+Stopping

[size=75] [quote=“global_dev”][quote=“Dimitripietro”]The problem is coming from the way you start Asterisk. If you are not using a script, try “asterisk &”. I just tried and it work very well. Then, to log in the CLI, use asterisk -r.

[/quote]

I had not seen this info before. i guess that is a difference in compiling vs a pre-compiled asterisk. thanks, i’ll give it ago later o today."[/quote] [/size]

i don’t see anything in the wiki for “asterisk &” or startup script other than safe asterisk and screen. I do see it the TFOT book. i didn’t

make clean make samples

and i wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to recompile everything clean to make sure nothing else is not “right”.

any suggestions…

You don’t need the &.

Just run “asterisk” this will start the deamon (service)
After to log in the cli use “asterisk -r”

Command Line Parameters
Running Asterisk is actually rather straight forward. Asterisk, if run with no arguments, is launched as a daemon process:

/usr/sbin/asterisk

You can get a CLI console to an already-running daemon by typing

/usr/sbin/asterisk -r

on the same computer on which Asterisk is running. More than one console CLI can connect to Asterisk simultaneously.

[size=75][quote=“Dimitripietro”]You don’t need the &.

Just run “asterisk” this will start the deamon (service)
After to log in the cli use “asterisk -r”

Command Line Parameters
Running Asterisk is actually rather straight forward. Asterisk, if run with no arguments, is launched as a daemon process:

/usr/sbin/asterisk

You can get a CLI console to an already-running daemon by typing

/usr/sbin/asterisk -r

on the same computer on which Asterisk is running. More than one console CLI can connect to Asterisk simultaneously.[/quote][/size]

if i want a script to enable using verbose from cli
i assume i take /usr/src/asterisk-1.2/contrib/init.d/rc.debian.asterisk and put is somewhere… where ?

Try to run “make config” in the asterisk source directory