MWI subscribes, expires, does not re-subscribe (bug?)

I asked this over at the FreePBX community, but I thought I would ask it here to get a wider audience. Apologies to people who read both boards.

My Asterisk subscribes to external MWI notifications with a line in SIP_gen_custom like this:
mwi => 1234:password@sip.anveo.com:5010/301

This works for an hour, until the subscription expires. Then the VOIP provider sends a notification that includes this:
Subscription-State: terminated;reason=timeout

Asterisk replies with a Bad Event like this:
Status-Line: SIP/2.0 489 Bad event

After that, Asterisk does not re-subscribe and does not receive MWI notifications until I do a reload or a restart.

Has anyone run into this before? Anyone have any ideas on how to solve it? This looks similar to this post which never got an answer.

I can’t find anything else about this on any Asterisk sites, I’m stumped. Need help from someone smarter than I am.

Peter.

if you are using MWI subscription with chan_sip module, there is an unfixed bug in asterisk crashing it after a while. It is important to move all SIP peers to extern notify.

could this solve the problem?

Thanks for the confirmation of a bug. It is not exactly crashing, but it is definitely doing odd, unexpected (that is, buggy) things besides failing to re-subscribe.

Unfortunately, external notify won’t fix it for me. I am trying to pick up when a voice mail is left at my SIP provider, so I would need THEM to run the external notify and I doubt that is a service they offer. They will send an email when a message is left, but not when it is read or deleted, so I can’t fully control the MWI with that. (It’s a long story why I also use an external SIP provider for some voicemail, but and I may try to get away from it if I have a lot of spare time.)

So getting MWI subscription to work seems unlikely. Any recommendations on what might help it function a little better? Any chance that PJSIP will implement this correctly (sooner or later)? Has ANYone gotten it to work?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.