Minimal system with just voicemail to start with?

People,

I have been aware of Asterisk for years and have always been meaning to get around to installing it and testing out its features but because of the usual lack of time . . have never gotten around to it. Now I really do need to scrap my old POTS answering machine and be able to have access to left messages from my Linux workstation or server. If I only want the voicemail facility from Asterisk to begin with - does that make the installation any simpler or will I still be installing a complete system anyway?

Thanks,

Phil.

Simpler compared with what? Voicemail is more complex than a simple PABX using Asterisk, but still requires very little dialplan code.

@david551,

OK, I thought just voicemail by itself might be a simpler Asterisk install because there would be less to install or something . . I am not sure what you mean by:

I will look it up . .

Thanks,
Phil.

the asterisk installation will be the same steps … are you connecting this via a telephony card, so you will have that install too, or is it all SIP?

The only thing you will have to configure after install is the voicemail, but to do that you will need to setup an extension and a trunk, so this is pretty much the basic setup (1 extension, 1 trunk, 1 application).

@AdnanAhmed,

I guess a card is more sensible - recommendations? (for a Fedora Linux workstation).

Right - I will see about the card and then give it a go!

Thanks,

Phil.