Message to caller upon initiating transfer

greets

Is it possible to play a message to callers after I transfer them to a different extension? For example, someone would call, and I would hit ‘#’ to transfer, then the extension, then the ‘#’ sign again. After doing this, I would want the system to play a message saying something like “Please hold while I transfer your call to the appropriate extension.” I imagine it would be as simple as recording that audio file, and modifying the transfer sequence, but I don’t know how to go about doing that, which files to edit, what to add, etc. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

thanks!

exten => _9XX,1,Playback(message)
exten => _9XX,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _9XX,n,Hangup

So to tranfer the caller to extension 45, you’d do a blind transfer to 945.

Thanks. Where do I add this code?

I tried adding it to extensions.conf, but now when I dial an extension (without even transferring a call) I get the message and then it disconnects.

Yuo need to mold the example for your needs. Are you using 3 digit extensions starting with 9 already? If that’s the case then my example would screw things up. Looks at the CLI output while you make and transfer calls, that should clue you in to what is going wrong. Post the results here. Read the links in my signature for more help on editing extensions.conf.

I’m using 3 digit extensions that start with ‘2’. What is the CLI and how do I access it?

if you’re using 3 digit extenstions starting with 2, then use this:

exten => _92XX,1,Playback(message)
exten => _92XX,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _92XX,n,Hangup

So to tranfer the caller to extension 245, you’d do a blind transfer to 9245.

But using a leading 9 really isn’t a good idea since 9 is often used for other purposes, so substitute that as you wish.

The CLI is the Command Line Interface and you see it by logging into Linux and doing “asterisk -rvvvvv”.

Read the links in my signature.

This is better, but something is still wrong. When I transfer a caller to extension 202 (by initiating a blind transfer to 9202), I hear the message, but then the call goes no where. Eventualaly it hangs up.

So, what does the CLI output? You really need to take a look at that. Do you have SIP extensions? Or IAX2/ZAP?

are your SIP extensions strings or numbers? i mean, do you have a situation where dialing 245 send the call to SIP/Bob? If so my example wont work since I’m trying to transfer to SIP/245.

He is looking to transfer a call he is currently on and not one that is in the dialplan. You could use the Transfer application. see this link
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … d+Transfer

exten => _92XX,2,Transfer(SIP/${EXTEN:1}|j)
exten => _92XX,3,Hangup
exten => _92XX,102,Voicemail(${EXTEN:1})

‘j’ ? jump to n+101 priority if the channel transfer attempt fails

Sweet. I changed the ‘9’ to a ‘5’ because part of the problem was the ‘9’ was accessing an outside line. Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!

He is looking to transfer a call he is currently on and not one that is in the dialplan. You could use the Transfer application. see this link
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … d+Transfer

exten => _92XX,2,Transfer(SIP/${EXTEN:1}|j)
exten => _92XX,3,Hangup
exten => _92XX,102,Voicemail(${EXTEN:1})

‘j’ ? jump to n+101 priority if the channel transfer attempt fails