Manual: Asterisk 1.6.1.0 + Asterisk Gui 2.0 + Ubuntu 9.04

Install Ubuntu Server 9.04 w/ OpenSSH Server

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.28-11-server php5-cli php5-mysql mysql-server php-pear php-db php5-gd curl sox libncurses5-dev libssl-dev libmysqlclient15-dev subversion sendmail

cd /usr/src
wget downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telep … 0.2.tar.gz
wget downloads.digium.com/pub/telepho … .10.tar.gz
wget downloads.digium.com/pub/asteris … 1.0.tar.gz
wget downloads.digium.com/pub/asteris … 1.0.tar.gz
wget downloads.digium.com/pub/asteris … 2.1.tar.gz
svn co svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk-gui/branches/2.0 asterisk-gui

tar -xzvf dahdi-linux-complete-2.1.0.4+2.1.0.2.tar.gz
tar -xzvf libpri-1.4.10.tar.gz
tar -xzvf asterisk-1.6.1.0.tar.gz
tar -xzvf asterisk-addons-1.6.1.0.tar.gz
tar -xzvf asterisk-sounds-1.2.1.tar.gz

cd dahdi-linux-complete-2.1.0.4+2.1.0.2
make all
make install
make config
cd …

cd libpri-1.4.10
make
make install
cd …

cd asterisk-1.6.1.0
./configure
make
make install
make samples
make config
cd …

cd asterisk-addons-1.6.1.0
./configure
make
make install
make samples
cd …

cd asterisk-sounds-1.2.1
make
make all
make install
cd …

cd asterisk-gui
./configure
make
make install
cp -r /etc/asterisk /etc/asterisk.backup

adduser asterisk --disabled-password

vi /etc/asterisk/manager.conf
enabled = yes
webenabled = yes
[administrator]
secret = YoUrPaSwOrD
read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config
write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config

vi /etc/asterisk/http.conf
enabled = yes
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
bindport = 8088
prefix = gui
enablestatic = yes

make checkconfig

Asterisk -vvvvvr

rm -rf /usr/share/asterisk/static-http/
mkdir /usr/share/asterisk/
ln -s /var/lib/asterisk/static-http/ /usr/share/asterisk/
/etc/init.d/asterisk restart

Dir sir
I am do the same instruction you say but when I try to install asterisk and i Write ./configure i get this message :
Cannot find ptlib-config - please install and try again

I ma using Ubuntu 9.04

Thanks

Ok, check that the build-essential are correctly installed.

Please post back if it works.

Regards,

Carlos V.

Thank you for the post. It helped me start with asterisk.

Thanks for posting this new recipe. I’ve started a set of ubuntu wiki pages to contain scripts based on these recipes (so everything is done consistently).

Would the author or another running 9.x be willing to convert to a script like the one for Hardy (8.04 LTS) and add to that wiki at:

wiki.ubuntu.com/AsteriskOnUbuntu

I would be willing to doit, but I really dont have the knowledge or the expertise. Could you point me in the right direction, I’d like to contribute as much as I can to help out others like me out there.

But I have to main concerns, right now I haven’t been able, with the instruction that I wrought, to make the Digium TDM400p card to receive incoming calls, and to asociate Sip extensions, wille configuring from the Asterisk-Gui interfase.

I don’t know if it is the Asterisk-Gui that is not properly writing the Sip.conf and Extension.conf files, or that it is not fully compatible with Asterisk 1.6, or if I’m doing something wrong. everything else works perfect.

I would like someone with more knowledge in Asterisk than me (this is not difficult) to review the instructions and tell us what is missing, I could send them as many captures and screen shots as they want.

Yes, that does sound like there are some remaining issues.

I’ve seen a number of posts about troubles configuring the DAHDI drivers.
I’m afraid I’ll have to wait and see if there other aspects on this items also.

One technique I used was setting two partitions on the machine, one with the server, the other with the desktop edition, which was the default boot. Once I had completed the base install of server, I used partimage to save an image of the server partition as a file in the desktop. Then I could restore the server to the base install quickly, try the steps of the existing script, try adding a few more steps, and if it messed it up, start over again. Took a while to get the script for Hardy Heron working, but at least it consistently works on the base install.

I will keep trying to make it work, the thing is that I tried it the first time on a virtual machine, but I guess that I didn’t try everything, for example Dahdi and the TDM400p. So When I installed on the physical PC I had this issues, so I had to rollback to the previous versión, wich was AsteriskNow 1.0.2, wich I think works better than 1.5.

I also tried *Now 1.5, but I think it still needs some work. Also I like Asterisk-Gui Better.

This is one thing that has puzzled me for a while. Why is it so hard to get asterisk to install and work?

It took quite a few evenings of experimenting to get the install script to work reliably with ubuntu Hardy Heron. Testing different parts of different recipes that were on the web. Frustrating at best.

[quote=“PeterNSteinmetz”]This is one thing that has puzzled me for a while. Why is it so hard to get asterisk to install and work?

It took quite a few evenings of experimenting to get the install script to work reliably with ubuntu Hardy Heron. Testing different parts of different recipes that were on the web. Frustrating at best.[/quote]

May be you have forgotten how difficult it was to walk for the first time? :wink: