[INFO] SIP ports

I need help!

SIP uses UDP 5060 port for signaling. Afther that evry connection uses only one UDP port for comunication. If I have five open SIP connections my Asterisk will use five diferent UDP ports. Do I have it right so far?

Now can I define which port Asterisk shuld use with SIP? At least a range of ports?

I’m asking all this because I don’t know which ports do I have to open on my firewall. Do I have to open any TCP port?

Thank you for your time.

Look in rtp.conf - RTP is the protocol that’s used and rtp.conf is where those ports are configured.

rtp.conf has only three lines

[general]
rtpstart=10000
rtpend=20000
; rtpchecksums=no

Do I need to call rtp.conf (from sip.conf or anywhere else)? If yes, how? What is “rtpchecksums” for?

Does SIP use both TCP and UDP or only UDP?

Thank you.

Tomislav

No. It’s just read by asterisk when it reads its config files.

Don’t know, but you’ll probably find out on the voip-info asterisk wiki. Look in the asterisk configuration files section and find the page about rtp.conf.

I believe SIP can use TCP, but it doesn’t in any implementation that i’ve ever come across. Again, you’ll probably find information about SIP and TCP on voip-info.

[quote=“WillKemp”]
I believe SIP can use TCP, but it doesn’t in any implementation that i’ve ever come across. Again, you’ll probably find information about SIP and TCP on voip-info.[/quote]

WillKemp, thank you weary much on this quick and clear answers.

Tomislav