Google Voice

I am trying to put together some features similar to Google Voice.

When a call comes in I would to place the person on hold and then place a separate reverse IVR call and determine if the employee wants to answer the phone, send the person to voicemail, or listen to the voicemail as it is being left.

My challenge, and question is how do I place this separate call in the dialplan, or even PHP AGI, without Asterisk automatically attempting to bridge both legs of the call prematurely?

As an additional question can you even do a ChanSpy, or ExtenSpy on a caller leaving a voicemail message?

an easy way is to use a “call” file (details here) from your dialplan and afterwards bridge them

HTH,
Ioan

What you tried to say is an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system and can be done using Asterisk. If I were you, I would download/read this free Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, 2nd Edition to find out how to do this.

No. I meant to say exactly what I said. I have that book and it is a little dated since I work with 1.6.1.x.

I already have IVR’s up and running that I designed myself in PHP AGI.

A reverse IVR is placing a call to somebody and after they answer the call you run them through the IVR. Just a different direction.

The IVR portion of my project is the least of my worries. I was merely outlining the goals. What I don’t understand, and I am looking for advice on, is how to place a separate call without it automatically being bridged when the called party answers.

I have an application in production that sounds similar:

1. call comes in and caller selects who he/she wants to contact
  2. asterisk calls callee and presents msg “XXX is on the line…press 1 to accept call press 2 to reject”
  3. if callee pressed 1 then bridge call otherwise do something else

i used AGI to generate a call file to generate the second call.

No. I meant to say exactly what I said. I have that book and it is a little dated since I work with 1.6.1.x.

I already have IVR’s up and running that I designed myself in PHP AGI.[/quote]
I apologize for my misunderstaing.

I am not sure what exactly did you mean. If I understood you correctly, you want to be able to place a call that will have a simul-ring capability to call many destinations. I do hope Asterisk can do that because it may come very handy. IIRC, I believe FreeSwitch can do that.