Fax Forwarding

Hi, Im new to the Asterisk / SIP scene… Im using link2voip with asterisknow…

Basically my elderly grandfather constantly sends faxes from his fax machine that are political rants, and he sends them to every political fax number he can find - and its starting to get us in legal trouble…

Im hoping using asterisk I can somehow solve this problem…

Basically he uses his fax machine handset to make and receive phone calls, I want to leave this intact. What I want to do is make asterisk do one of the following:

1. Send some kind of ‘fax sent’ signal when he initiates a fax, and not actually send it - he never sends real faxes so it can ALWAYS throw out his faxes
  2. Send any fax signal to a dedicated fax line ill set up - so i receive the faxes and they dont go to their destination
  3. Instead of sending his faxes save them to a file.

All I need to do is allow normal voice calls and disable fax calls, without him knowing they dont work.

Any ideas? Any help with this is seriously appreciated… Please dont reply if your just going to tell me to read a manual or google it… I’ve tried googling it it really isnt easy to figure this out for a newb like me…

What is I setup one asterisk server to forward all calls to a second… and have the second check the INCOMING calls and see if they are faxes and if they are just save to a tiff, otherwise forward them to their destination?

Would that work?

Try using NVFaxDetect (voip-info.org/wiki-NVFaxDetect). You can set that if the call is a fax to answer it and save it as a tiff. you will need to actually accept the fax because if not the fax machine will show up that the fax did not go through. I do not have any concrete fax examples as I have not worked much with incoming faxes. (If you need help figuring it out I will try to do some home work).