Extensions limit

Hello,

I have to provide a IP PBX with 600 extensions, I want to know if asterisk can manage a that number of extensions.

Thanks in advance

if you are not sure if asterisk can handle 600 hundred extensions I would advise you, from a serious ‘reputation on the line, going to be pie in your face’ type standing to either re-evaluate what you are doing or shift your focus to middle-manning the deal to someone who can get that system working properly.

No one likes egg on their face, especially in the business world.

The answer to your questions is ‘maybe’. Variable X + Y - D/v squared = result

Only you know what they need; someone with more asterisk experience knows if it can be done.

-Jake
www.voipcitadel.com

a lot of words, but no message

There was actually some pretty sage advice in Jake’s response to you. It’s unfortunate that you chose not to heed his wisdom.

Your original question lacked anything close to specificity, so I present you with my irrational interpretation of the question with what will amount to an almost meaningless answer.

Can Asterisk handle 600 extensions? Absolutely. Go ahead and build a dialplan with 600 extensions in it and point each one to a different file to be played back to the caller. Zing, 600 extensions!

the load on an asterisk installation is driven more by the number of concurrent calls going through the system rather than the number of extensions. “600 extensions” says very little about the expected load. if “600 extensions” are in a busy call center so there are possible demands for 500 concurrent calls, then chances are a single server is not going to do it… however, if 600 extensions are in a location where the demand might peak at 30 concurrent calls, then this is trivial for a small asterisk server.

other factors come into play such as how much use of heavy applications like conference calls or other call center type functionalities.

in other words, you have not provided anywhere near enough useful information to help you.

recording, CDR, dialers, blended call center etc?

I mean I have seen SSD’s used as swaps just for recording real time on 300 plus seat call center (mandatory recordings for a prison call center) setups, where at 2am they are converted and stored on a separate server just for storage.

A 600 seat PBX is not a big deal but requires time, patience a ton of tweaking and experience.

A call center PBX is another animal and as aforementioned, should be spread load-wise across a few boxes. I would also recommend you find some redundancy for that box. If it has certain type of hardware there are tweaks for that hardware to drop load based on MTU etc.

I was not trying to be rude, just stating the facts. I have seen installations done properly with well over 600 extensions, so the answer is yes, but I reiterate, I think you should find some help on this deal.

-Jake
voipcitadel.com

In our enterprise:

We had one call center that had 300 extensions, all doing inbound, very busy call center and had no problems.

We have a resort with 1860 phones registering to a single server, maybe 50-100 concurrent calls, no issues. This server runs several AGI applications as well.

Our main staff PBX has about 600 phones registering to it, maybe a couple hundred concurrent calls, registrations come from 4 geographical locations. Also no issues.

These boxes are all typically dual Xeon dual core processor machines with 4GB of RAM.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks jabsbr, that is the question I was looking for.