Dialing out with Asterisk?

Hi
Im working on an application that would have to notify users by phone (not a very huge number of calls, no more than 200 a day), it will basically have to dial a number, play a pre-recorded message if the user answers, and capture a response (e.g. press 1 for accept or 2 for deny), and play another message accordingly and return the results. I would rather do most of the application logic on the server in PHP, Can I use asterisk for this? if so can anyone give me any pointers on how to go about it? and if not, what do you suggest i look at?

Yes, you can do it with Asterisk and php; with Asterisk is simple to build a dialplan extension where you play a message, wait for digits, check the digits received and then play a message depending on the digit received; to start a call you can place a “call file” in the Asterisk spool directory or use the “originate” manager action; to do what you need you just start a call to the destination phone number and then execute the right dialplan extension.

A good free book about Asterisk: downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf .
Asterisk and call files: voip-info.org/tiki-index.php … o-dial+out .
Asterisk manager interface (AMI): voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+manager+API .

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

Thank you very much for you help, now that i know Asterisk is the right way to go i can spend my time going through all the documentation and plan my application. I really appreciate your help.
P.S. thank you for the links

You’re welcome :smile:

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

hey im looking for someone to work with my vicidial voice brodcast dialer. i need someone to help it run more efficiently and write a custom caller id script.

would you be interested in something like this? I’m looking for a reliable person to have an ongoing working relationship with.