Dial Up ISP with Asterisk?

Hello

Would it be possible to have a Dial Up ISP service with Asterisk? Like when a user dials the phone number, than there user name and password, they will be given bandwidth from the the internet connection connected to the server. Is that possible?

Thank You

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was wondering this as well.

If there’s a data module for *, that would be pretty cool and would allow dual functionality for those companies/individuals who are still without broadband internet access, or for people one the road, etc.

asterisk would not be the tool to use to do this… if you want to mimic an ISP you would need TDM type lines connected to a modem bank and then to say a Linux box with PPP dial in accepted… lots of money for a dying technology…
-Christopher

Cool idea. Softmodem without any hardware. Could that actually work?

[quote=“cadillackid”]asterisk would not be the tool to use to do this… if you want to mimic an ISP you would need TDM type lines connected to a modem bank and then to say a Linux box with PPP dial in accepted… lots of money for a dying technology…
-Christopher[/quote]

I want to use this for some countries that broadband is not yet available.

In those countries people buy Internet by buying cards, similar to calling cards, it has a # on it that they call and they also have a user name and password on the cart.

I was wondering, would it be possible to use my FiOS or cable Connection for this or would I need a special connection?

Whatever IP connection would be fine provided users are satified with bandwidth you provide. But the point is Asterisk should not be in the picture. The most you can use Asterisk for is pass-through, a rather wasteful use of your CPU. You’ll still need the MODEM pool and PPP, Radius servers cadillackid mentioned, and extra equipment to connect them to Asterisk. And I just saw some complaints about flaky MODEM pass-through.

Your best bet would be run split equipment and network dedicated for this purpose.

I think the whole point with Asterisk, correct me if I am wrong. He wants to buy DID’s in other countries, have them “dialup” the local country number, be routed via IP to the US to his equipment that he’ll host in his house or wherever he hosts his Asterisk server…

I think it would be better explained, that he would have to be LOCAL in the other countries, to have the modem pool THERE to answer the POTS calls, and not have someone dialup a DID and be forwarded via IP to his Asterisk server.

I may be completly out of line, but, this is just what I get from it.

Easy one to answer NO
No you can not replace a few grand in gear and a gateway to the PSTN
with soft “free” software.

the other issue would be as always and that is trying to do data calls through asterisk… at BEST in a PERFECT scenerio the users Might reach 9600 baud… Look at the issues even with ulaw that many have with trying to Fax at 9600 baud, for asterisk to even begin to be a soft ISP, one would have to write a completely software Modem and im not even sure thats possible let alone feasible… look at all the processing power the “WinModems” take up as there is a lot of software for those and still you need a card to handle part of it.

Im sure though that with all the Broadband popping up there might be a good used market for Dialup modem banks, at that point you would be better off to order a PRI or T1 in, channel bank it down to analog, then order a couple Sealevel multi serial cards and run this through a server class machine… and then of course you are going to want a separate RADIUS billing/ authentication server… and then there is of course redundancy…

If what you are trying to do is offer Local dialup numbers to say a USA ISP for people in another country… im guessing you are talking of ordering DID numbers from that origin country locale and then routing them to your asterisk box where the calls would go out to say a local AOL dialup number the issue with this is passing modem / data traffic over VOIP… it just doesnt work as noted above.

then there is the Contract with FIOS… what do they allow and what do they not allow? from wyat I understand they are pretty tight as to not allow people to run servers on their service unless you buy the more expensive business plans… I know for a fact they block port 80 right off the bat
-Christopher

The reason i asked is because we have * deployed here at our school and if we could do it cheaply, we’d like to share our new PRI and our highspeed net connection with members of the community that don’t yet have access to the internet.

Since we’d be doing this for free, we’d need to do it cheaply. :smile:

We just have a single PRI that’s fed into a Digium single T1 card in the * server, so I was hoping maybe * could help us there. If we wanted to split the PRI to run some lines into a channel bank, what would be the best way to handle that?

Thanks,

Jeremy

has anyone tried using IAXModem for a project like this ?

[quote=“Milenko”]The reason i asked is because we have * deployed here at our school and if we could do it cheaply, we’d like to share our new PRI and our highspeed net connection with members of the community that don’t yet have access to the internet.

We just have a single PRI that’s fed into a Digium single T1 card in the * server, so I was hoping maybe * could help us there. If we wanted to split the PRI to run some lines into a channel bank, what would be the best way to handle that?

Thanks,

Jeremy[/quote]

I oversee a state department that deals with K-12 School’s technology. If you were doing this in my state, you’d have access to the equipment to provide this to your patrons and students. If you did this without my blessing, I would limit your T-1, and start pulling other funding.

Just my two cents.

[quote=“arcane”][quote=“Milenko”]The reason i asked is because we have * deployed here at our school and if we could do it cheaply, we’d like to share our new PRI and our highspeed net connection with members of the community that don’t yet have access to the internet.

Thanks,

Jeremy[/quote]

I oversee a state department that deals with K-12 School’s technology. If you were doing this in my state, you’d have access to the equipment to provide this to your patrons and students. If you did this without my blessing, I would limit your T-1, and start pulling other funding.

Just my two cents.[/quote]

Hmmm, I’m not sure that here in PA there are any kind of programs like that. We don’t have any state departments here that would have any kind of authority to limit any of our resources, funding or otherwise, for offering free anything to students, teachers, or the community. As long as it’s reasonable anyway. A program like this would cost the school almost nothing (other than some startup costs) and would be a great use of taxpayer-funded resources that sit idle for a great percentage of time.

May I ask why a school could be in trouble for offering something back to the community for free? I don’t see how this is any different than a non-profit organization using our building for free, or the school providing free web/email hosting to non-profit and county agencies (we do all of the above).

[quote=“arcane”]I think the whole point with Asterisk, correct me if I am wrong. He wants to buy DID’s in other countries, have them “dialup” the local country number, be routed via IP to the US to his equipment that he’ll host in his house or wherever he hosts his Asterisk server…

I think it would be better explained, that he would have to be LOCAL in the other countries, to have the modem pool THERE to answer the POTS calls, and not have someone dialup a DID and be forwarded via IP to his Asterisk server.

I may be completly out of line, but, this is just what I get from it.[/quote]

Yes you are right, I want to use Asterisk to have other countries DID in North America with a fast connection, so when some one calls to connect to the internet its a local call for them and it would also be cheap for me. I did some research and found out that I need to use PPPd to have a Dial Up service Provider. But would it be possible in anyway to use another countries DID in north America for this?

I think people have reported success in using IAXModem for FAX. So 9600bps is possible. I believe this would require the ITSP providing DID to use IAX.

If you connect your MODEM device to PSTN in N. America (or anywhere), theoretically yes. (You definitely use MODEM pool in this case.) If your MODEM device (say Asterisk) is connected via IP (again, anywhere in the world), it’ll be very difficult if not outright impossible. I’m assuming that you don’t have dedicated IP connection to the ITSP’s back bone, of course.

i was thinking more along the lines of having a separate PPP box running multiple instances of IAXmodem talking to the Asterisk box … then Asterisk handing the call off to the IAXmodem user/PPP box.

I still thought even with IAXmodem the max reliable baud rate is 9600 at best… although ive yet to get 9600 to work correctly even from an IAXmodem to a zap channel.

andthats pretty slow for internet.
-Christopher

Right. My concern is latency and jitter caused by transforming from one protocol to another. 1200 bps is the “natural” upper limit for analogue MODEM, anything above is very sensitive to distortion.

I’ll try to test it with a PSTN phone line, what kind of modem is needed for this? would the internal ones that come with the computer work? or does it have to be the ones that connect to the COM port?