Device status vs presence status

Hi fellow forum members, I have been using Asterisk for years and used a considerable number of handset types as well. My first experiences were with Cisco 7940/60s using SCCP via chan_sccp but I soon moved to the SIP load. Next I discovered Polycom IP600/650 handsets and since then have played with Yealink, Digium, Snom, & Grandstream. Generally I found that users really find it useful to see the status of commonly used extensions via integrated BLF keys or side-cars that provide this. The days of simply dialling an extension on the off chance that it is not in use are perhaps coming to an end - users just expect more. Here comes the rub though, why does the average BLF not actually show that a device is not registered at all? I have heard so much conflicting information on this; some manufacturers claim that this is part of presence and that their handsets won’t subscribe to presence! To my mind, the fact that a device is not registered is a device status and nothing to do with presence. I really don’t want presence (users indicating on their handset whether they are available etc). Not since the Polycom IP600/650s have BLF shown an extension is not available at all and these handsets did indeed support presence. I find the documentation on the differences between device status and presence status totally confusing and so do handset manufacturers I suspect and opt just not to bother understanding it. Can anyone recommend me to a handset with BLFs (with LCD display of current usage) which will show when an extension is not available at all? Thank you so much.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.