Definity G3 to Asterisk 1.6 via T1 trunk

The owner of my company has asked me to move the company to VoIP without buying an entire new system. I understand why he wants to take a half step.

I run a SwitchVox Free edition at home, but everything there is all SIP and I honestly have not “got into the guts of it” nor have I set up a stand alone Asterisk before.

My situation and question to the community here is can I do this:

Definity G3:
~256 analog line ports
~32 digital line ports
9 CO trunks
3 DID trunks
1 T1 (16 channels, used for long distance)
No IP capabilities without major firmware update

If I add a T1 card (have some spares) to the unit and set up an Asterisk PBX with a T1 card, can I set up Asterisk to take the incoming call from the Definity and dial it out on a SIP provider?

Yes.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni
www.marcobruni.net

From my limited understanding of these systems, I thought it was possible. But thinking and knowing are different things, thank you for the answer.

You can do that with no problem. We did some simmular setup, a G3 Avaya connected to an asterisk via an E1 (netherlands). We even have two E1 interfaces in the asterisk machine, 1 to the avaya, 1 to the public network and a sip connection to the internal users. We use asterisk as a lcr router (least cost routing).

pm me for more info

Ok I will just attch to this post instead of starting a new one as its almost the same issue…

I need to know if this is possible with the Asterisk.

Inbound call on a PRI attached to the Asterisk, auto attendant give you 2 options A or B.

Press A your call goes over a point-to-point T1 to an Altigen system

Press B your call goes to an Iwatsu switch via an outbound PRI card

requirements:

The Asterisk needs to pass the caller ID info from the original inbound call to the transfered location.

The Asterisk needs to be able to act as a CO for the PRI connections between the Iwatsu and Asterisks so I can basically put in a corss over cable and have the two conected via PRI cards.

Can this be done? Anyone have anything like this working? See any pitfalls?