Dahdi installation issues

Hello everybody,

I’m having difficulties with the dahdi installation part of the asterisk setup process. Well, I ran into this issue where the ‘make’ for dahdi was looking for the kernel source, and couldn’t find it (I’m running CentOS 5.8 on a hostgator vps, kernel version according to ‘uname -r’ is: 2.6.18-028stab094.3, 64-bit).

I tried ‘yum install devel’ and a few of the variations on that (like xen-devel) and I’m getting this kernel version: 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5-x86_64.

At one point I thought I would be clever and just make a symbolic link in ‘/lib/modules’ that points from ‘/lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab094.3/build/’ to ‘/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-308.8.2.el5-x86_64/’, which actually did get me past installation, but then when I tried running ‘service dahdi start’ I got the dreaded ‘FATAL: Module dahdi not found’ and [FAILED] on every item, along with the ‘Error: missing /dev/dahdi!’ at the end.

I’ve searched the forums for similar dahdi problems and i’ve found a few, regarding running things like ‘yum update’ and stuff (might not have been this forum I’ve been kind of bouncing between here and centos.org), but none seem to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, ‘uname -a’ shows: 2.6.18-028stab094.3 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 12:47:37 MSD 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, if that helps any?

Thank you

You are not booting into the most recent kernel in the repository.

The kernel-devel package must match the kernel you are booting. That either means changing your boot configuration to boot the most recent kernel, or forcing the old version number, when running yum.

The latter may not work, because old kernels tend to get purged rather quickly from the yum repositories.

The kernel will be looking in /usr/lib/modules/.

This is sufficiently a FAQ I’m surprised you didn’t find it in your searches.

Hi david55,

Thanks for your reply! I’m sorry I’m such a knucklehead I didn’t notice the ‘binary packages’ to the side of the downloads page. I followed the directions on those and now I’m good and running.

Thanks again! (I’ll probably be back with more questions, hehe)