* "certified" IP phones / ATAs - is there such a t

Hi, I am looking, as many of you no doubt do, to select IP phones and ATAs to supply as part of Asterisk installations.
I’ve noticed some h/w vendors indicating that their product (IP phone or ATA) is “asterisk certified” or “has the asterisk tick”, and they typically include an asterisk icon in the product data sheet.
But, from my browsing, I haven’t been able to find any “official” asterisk interoperability product certfication program.
Does such a thing exist? :question:
Or are these vendors just overstating things a little! :exclamation:

Like “Designed for Microsoft Windows XP”? :laughing:

Well sort of.
Here’s an example of the sort of thing one crowd says:

[quote]Asterisk Compatible Phones

Our phones, the X100 and X120, are based on PA168 Chip, which is proven to be Asterisk Compatible. [/quote]
from the site http://www.iareaphone.com/

Here’s the first thing sthat I saw that got me wondering about this:

on this site : http://www.vocallip.com/ipphones.html

Mind you, I note that the supplier of those phones doesn’t claim the same - “asterisk tested” status. (But given they support IAX protocol, they really couldn’t be anything other than Asterisk tested!

I think the local reseller just made up the “Asterisk tested” thing. I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing.
With an opensource project like asterisk, I don’t really see how there can be an “official” tested/certified status.

I do however, really like that logo, and the whole concept of

I don’t believe there is anything official. This means the vendor has tried it and might have the subtle implication that they do care about the Asterisk community and be more responsive to issues. For asterisk or any other VoIP technology, you need to find what fits your needs, test it and to your satisfaction and then deploy. I wouldn’t believe any vendors claims for a second without confirming the equipment meets your needs. Your customer is not going to give you any sympathy because it says ‘certified for asterisk’ when they are feeling the pain of the problem.

p

there are several phones that are known to work and are supported with asterisk one way or another… Anything that supports sip should work, but SIP like any other standard can be implemented slightly differently…

Phones that I know work with asterisk and use on a regular basis are

Cisco 7960s (and similar) running SIP

Polycom SoundPoint IP series 300, 301, 500, 501, 600, 601, 4000

Linksys/Sipura All SIP ATAs and Hard Phones (The linksys was just a licensed version of the Sipura hardware until Cisco purchased Sipura out right for their Linksys Division)

Aastra SIP phones

and a few others that the names elude me currently… your best bet is check the wiki and see what they have to say about the phone…

there are cheaper phones and there are more expensive phones… Personally I lean toward the Polycoms for hardphones, and the Linksys/Sipura stuff for ATAs (I do work with people that like the Cisco hard phones)

[quote=“SwK”]there are several phones that are known to work and are supported with asterisk one way or another… Anything that supports sip should work, but SIP like any other standard can be implemented slightly differently…

Phones that I know work with asterisk and use on a regular basis are

Cisco 7960s (and similar) running SIP

Polycom SoundPoint IP series 300, 301, 500, 501, 600, 601, 4000

Linksys/Sipura All SIP ATAs and Hard Phones (The linksys was just a licensed version of the Sipura hardware until Cisco purchased Sipura out right for their Linksys Division)

Aastra SIP phones

and a few others that the names elude me currently… your best bet is check the wiki and see what they have to say about the phone…

there are cheaper phones and there are more expensive phones… Personally I lean toward the Polycoms for hardphones, and the Linksys/Sipura stuff for ATAs (I do work with people that like the Cisco hard phones)[/quote]

Yes - I’m sure that is the way it is. I have tried the Grandstream BT102 and GXP2000 , and the AT320 - all work fine with Asterisk. I like the GXP2000 best. I have tried a couple of Sipura SPA ATAs - the 2100 and the 3000 - they work fine too. I would like to try the Polycoms - they look very nice, and I have always though that their conference phones were fantatsic - although I have only ever used their analog ones. Have you tried their SIP soundstation?

I sell all the Polycom SoundPoint IP series… the 301 is a 2 line with list only speaker phone, the 501 is the 3line with full duplex speaker, and the 601 is a 6 line unit w/ full duplex peaker and optional Expansion module/“Sidecar” all 3 are great for desk situations and have the 2 port switch built in for “1 wire to the desktop”

the SpIp4000 is the SIP conference phone and we’ve deployed them… great phones for the conference room plus the look nice too

[quote=“SwK”]I sell all the Polycom SoundPoint IP series… the 301 is a 2 line with list only speaker phone, the 501 is the 3line with full duplex speaker, and the 601 is a 6 line unit w/ full duplex peaker and optional Expansion module/“Sidecar” all 3 are great for desk situations and have the 2 port switch built in for “1 wire to the desktop”

the SpIp4000 is the SIP conference phone and we’ve deployed them… great phones for the conference room plus the look nice too[/quote]

I was wondering whether it is possible in any way with Asterisk to display the status of the extensions in the office on the IP601, and/or it’s expansion modules? Sort of like Flash Perator Panel (FOP), but not on a PC.

The thing is that many existing proprietary PBXs have phones that can do this - display the state of all extensions in the office, and I’d like to be able to offer an equivalent in an asterisk based solution. preferrably doing it in a phone based manner, as opposed to the PC based FOP manner.

Have you ever used the IP601 expansion modules with asterisk in any way?

thanks for your help with this.

you can do that using SIP hints… there are some limits to the number of hints it can handle (altho I couldnt tell you what they are off the top of my head)

Using Polycom phone, the limit is 7 even with a expension console. But using Snom 360 and extension module therer seem to be no limit, anyone can confirm ?