Cell + (WiFi) VoIP phones

I’m trying to find mobile phones that support cellular
services (eg- GSM), B and G wireless, and can get
registered with an IP PBX for VoIP calling. I think the
Nokia E70 is one, I don’t recall if it did G wireless, but
we tested it and were not happy with it. HP is coming
out with an iPAQ 510 that is quad band, b/g with WPA2
and supports VoIP. The only bad thing is no QWERTY.
Are there any other phones that I should research for
this application? Hopefully the HP is a quality device.

This is related to Asterisk because I’m using Asterisk
at the office and at home for the VoIP service… 8)

Thanks,
Scott

Hi

What like this http://www.siracom.com/pirelli.htm#dpl10

another option is a Nokia N95

Ian

Verizon XV6700 … excellent. I use with an IAX soft client.

Is it available through any US retailers?

That’s a pretty pricey phone! But an option.

Has anyone used the HP iPAQ 510 with Asterisk yet?

Thanks,
Scott

Works like a champ. No message waiting indicator but this might be a setting in AsteriskNOW that I am missing, I just used the simple gui to create the SIP account and voicemail.

As a side note, you don’t even have to activate the GSM service.
I bought it straight from HP. Then configured wifi, SIP, ActiveSync, and turned off phone service. It will still use GSM to call 911 even without a SIM, this is setup in the default calling plan on the phone.

Hi,

What type of soft client would you recommend to use ?

Thanks.

[quote=“dlevinso”]As a side note, you don’t even have to activate the GSM service.
I bought it straight from HP. Then configured wifi, SIP, ActiveSync, and turned off phone service. It will still use GSM to call 911 even without a SIM, this is setup in the default calling plan on the phone.[/quote]

Hi,

I wanted to ask you how is the quality of the sound ? How does it feel after a few months, or did you stop using it ?
I am testing this device right now and the sound quality using Asterisk is quite poor. Sometimes you will not hear anything, unless you switch to the speaker. MOH is broken and also voice is broken when you compare it to other WiFi phones.

If you have any ideas it is highly appreciated.

I have not tried this phone, but I have tried the UTStarcom GF210 - at VoIP Supply for $239. That one works well (with different VoIP services, including * and with T-Mobile USA on GSM). Sound quality is good and the phone works well.

I use a Nokia E65

It works pretty well. It has a built-in SIP client fully integrated with the phone and I have it set to register with my system when it’s in range of the WiFi.

You can set the preferred type of call, Cell or VoIP and also select on a call-by-call basis by using a menu key after entering the number.