Can Asterisk replace a Metaswitch 2510

Thanks in advance for considering and helping answer these questions

I am the current telephony tech for a small ISP providing service as non-incumbent, Interconnected Voip. We currently have 3000 DID’s in active service across 5 rate centers serviced on a Metaswitch 2510 that is end of life and we are looking to possibly replace with an Asterisk solution. We are all SIP 711, SIP 2-way trunks (SIP carrier side) to end users on Arris MTA’s (models 802/4 all the way up to the new TM9202A on a crappy Broadcom Chip). We have very few SIP phones (maybe 10 and mostly my desk and some internal phones (Yealink and Grandstream) and a few Innomedia ATAs. We run at peak (Mexico and US Mother’s Day coincide) about 450 concurrent calls and about 3500 busy hour call attempts. Normally about 250 concurrent calls and 2000 BHCA. All provisioning is done by hand. We do not generate CDR, but use concise calls logs for trouble shooting. Our SIP carriers are not metered for either international or domestic We do however need to carve out certain international destinations in translations, like most cellphones, high fraud (Caribbean) destinations and other high-cost destinations (Yukon, South Pole…). Would need voicemail solution with Unified features, web access for self-administration.

Feature needing support, CALEA is a must, Customer initiated trace, Caller ID delivery, CNAM, CND, forwarding (unconditional, busy, NA) DND, call waiting on/off, and speed dial, the typical vertical services.

I am under a time crunch to present a new solution for budget considerations and if this is a nonstarter then I need to move on and research anther solution oyhrtwise I woul try to look up more detail and not ask such sweeping questions.

Questions are-

Would Asterisk be able to support all the above services if not please provider a pointer where I can research it myself?

What type of hardware would I need or could find the specifications for base and scaling?

Where would I go to contract installation and configuration with training?

Regards

Short Answer, yes Asterisk can work for this, yes it can be made CALEA and Ray Baum act compliant

You will need third-party software:

Questions:

• Do you have in-house Asterisk SME, or do you need to factor their acquisition and retention costs into the project as wall?

• Do you have a requirement for NEBS or other GR series CO / Head end equipment?

• Do you support a PSAP or PSAP?

Martin

Feature needing support, CALEA is a must, Customer initiated trace, Caller ID delivery, CNAM, CND, forwarding (unconditional, busy, NA) DND, call waiting on/off, and speed dial, the typical vertical services.

It sounds like you don’t have a full understanding of how Asterisk works.

It’s a telephony toolkit that can be used to implement a PBX or a softswitch (Class 4, Class 5, what have you).

However, you will have to implement most of the features yourselves. The exception may be DAHDI’s simple switch, which doesn’t seem like it would apply to you, but the DAHDI simple switch is pretty much garbage anyways and wouldn’t be used for real features. Expect to do a lot of programming, either in the dialplan or directly in C, to implement the functionality you need. I have basically all the vertical service codes on my switch (and I really do mean all of them), but it’s required hundreds, maybe thousands, of man hours of custom programming. This is not a turnkey solution that you just spin up out of the box. Know what you are getting into.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.