Calling softphones outside your lan

is it possible to call and receive calls from softphones outside your lan?..lets say from someone using ekiga with an ekiga account

thanks
pcteckonline.org

If you forward the proper ports on your router you can have them dial a SIP URI on your server. Basically in your default context (what ever you set for context= under the general section) create an extension there. If some dials it they should get through. If you created extension 123 and some dials 123@your_server then they should get in.

I’ve done it already, the reason I ask is b/c I was able to register to my astrisk server from outside my lan, and I was able to make calls, but when I wanted to call the softphone outside the call didn’t make it… for the test I used x-lite softphone, and all I did was forward port 5060 on my firewall, I think the client only uses that udp port to make and receive calls, but the calls weren’t making it outside my lan, anybody know why?

thanks
pcteckonline.org

well on a second try… now I’m able to receive and call from outside my network when registered to my own asterisk box from outside, but I’ve tried with gizmo and after registering to their network, I can’t make calls to mine…

any help appreciated

thanks
pcteckonline.org

let me clarify that I do not have any voip service provider… but after registering with ekiga and gizmo, I’m not able to call my number inside the lan

any help appreciated

thanks
pcteckonline.org