Building a GSM Conferencing System Using Asterisk

Hi,

I am very new to asterisk system, what i need is to build a Conferencing System that calls 2 GSM phones and register them to a conference room based on a schedule based online system already existing.

What i thought off is having a server running on linux and asterisk server with a GSM PCI card compatible with asterisk and develop a calling system over Asterisk which receives calling requests from the scheduling online system.

Could any body help me to assure that i am in the right direction and where to start?

Thanks in advance.

I think you’ve pretty much got it there. A couple of GSM ports via PCI, tell Asterisk to place outbound calls to the destination numbers, then drop them into a conference. You’ll probably want some sort of script in place letting the callee “press 1 to conference”, lest you conference in their mobile’s voicemail.

Hi jpsharp,

Thanks for your reply :smile:

You’re definitely along the right lines there. You can get a PCI card if you want to but there are also several GSM gateways available for connection to FXO ports or network connected (accessed via a SIP trunk).

If you don’t want to use a GSM gateway you could always use a VoIP service provider and just do it that way.

[quote=“leemason”]You’re definitely along the right lines there. You can get a PCI card if you want to but there are also several GSM gateways available for connection to FXO ports or network connected (accessed via a SIP trunk).

If you don’t want to use a GSM gateway you could always use a VoIP service provider and just do it that way.[/quote]

HI, I am in a similar situation: don’t no much about asterisk and would like to build call queuing for four iPhones that would become queue members to pickup incoming calls. HOw do I go about registering the GSM numbers into asterisk?

An article on building queues shows how to register sip devices referenced with their MAC addresses and some templates.

[code]0004f2040001

0004f2040002[/code]

Can one do that same thing with GSM numbers without using PCI cards and GSM gateways (are they necessary?)

Benedict

Assuming the GSM phones are reachable from the PSTN, you can use any method that reaches the PSTN (PCI cards, SIP gateways, ITSPs, etc.).

This should have been asked on the support forum.