Brand New to Asterisk, help me and feel good about yourself

Okay everyone, first my apologies for not knowing much of anything, and if this topic has been covered a hundred thousand times, and I haven’t found it yet.

I need a real basic overview of VoIP and then from there I need to be able to ask more detailed questions. Here we go

1. How do people who are on POTS lines get to my VoIP system?

2. Can my current phone number through Qwest be moved in such a way it goes to my VoIP system? I know the FCC requires my phone company to do this with “Interconnected VoIP” providers, but who qualifies? Can I be an "Interconnected VoIP provider?

3. What service should I use to get my VoIP calls onto the POTS or other phone systems?

Thanks for the help, and your time

1. You can either have a TDM card on your server that you can connect to a POTS line, T1/E1 etc. or you can get a phone number from an ITSP.
  2. You can port it to any ITSP that will allow you to. You can do it through jivtel.com, flatplanetphone.com and many more.
  3. I do not understand the question. You can either have POTS lines come in to your server or you can sign up for VOIP service through an ITSP such as:
    jivetel.com
    flatplanetphone.com
    teliax.com