Beginners question: compiling error

Hi,

I am just beginning with asterisk and trying to compile it on a SuSE 8.2 linux disto. I do not use hardware interfaces and just want to install asterisk on my linux-router/firewall to forward SIP traffic to my Grandstream ATA.

When compiling asterisk 1.2.1 it stops with the following error :

gcc -shared -Xlinker -x -o app_curl.so app_curl.o -L/usr/lib -lcurl -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz -lcares /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/3.3/../../../../i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lcares collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[1]: *** [app_curl.so] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/asterisk/asterisk-1.2.1/apps' make: *** [subdirs] Error 1

Any hints where to look ?? (or do you know a .rpm for SuSE 8.2??)

Your installation is missing a library.

Try searching on rpmfind.net for something like “c-ares-devel” or “libcares” or maybe just “cares”. You want the “devel” package. I haven’t got a Linux system handy at the moment, so i can’t check what it’s called on my machine.

Thanks, that did the trick. I knew that a library was missing, but could not find the name “cares” on the installation cd’s and had no idea that it should be c-ares.

c-ares-devel was also not on the cd’s but I found an Suse 8.2 rpm via google and installed it. It compiles fine now :smile: