Avaya to Asterisk via H323

We don’t currently have Asterisk in-house but we’re going to be doing some phone system upgrades soon and I’m wondering if we should consider Asterisk for this particular application. We are an Avaya shop right now, so we’d have to have a way to integrate the Asterisk side of the house with the Avaya side.

I’ve heard that we can use H323 for this. When I looked at Cisco’s site to see how they integrate with Avaya via H323, I saw that there a lot of limitations and missing features. The biggest was that MWI does not pass over the H323 trunk.

Do you know if the same would be true with Asterisk if we needed to use the voicemail system on the Avaya PBX?

Are there any other “gotchas” I should know about ahead of time?

If you have any other ideas about how to connect an Avaya system to an Asterisk system, please let me know.

Thanks!
John

Same situation here. Currently working on integrating Asterisk with Avaya Definity via H323. I can currently call from Definity to Asterisk sip phones with no problem, but Asterisk to Definity not working correctly.

Please post the results of this… I would love to know the outcome.

[quote=“Neiby”]We don’t currently have Asterisk in-house but we’re going to be doing some phone system upgrades soon and I’m wondering if we should consider Asterisk for this particular application. We are an Avaya shop right now, so we’d have to have a way to integrate the Asterisk side of the house with the Avaya side.

I’ve heard that we can use H323 for this. When I looked at Cisco’s site to see how they integrate with Avaya via H323, I saw that there a lot of limitations and missing features. The biggest was that MWI does not pass over the H323 trunk.

Do you know if the same would be true with Asterisk if we needed to use the voicemail system on the Avaya PBX?

Are there any other “gotchas” I should know about ahead of time?

If you have any other ideas about how to connect an Avaya system to an Asterisk system, please let me know.

Thanks!
John[/quote]