Audio problems from external locations

Hi folks,

apologise for probably duplicate topic, but I lack time for detailed searching.

I have an Asterisk box at home (connected to a SIP provider via common router, i.e. NAT) to accept incoming calls and either forward them to me (notebook with X-Lite) or record a message.

When I am at home, everything works fine. However, if I am logging from a different location (also connected with another router w/NAT), I experience difficulties with audio, to be more specific:

. audio works fine for voicemails (both listening and recording)
. for inbound calls people cannot hear my voice (and sometimes I cannot hear them too).

Guess, the problem is with SIP configuration.

Can anyone with identical setup share their sip.conf settings?

Many thanks in advance.

make sure you have
externip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
localnet=192.168.x.0/255.255.255.0

or whatever your things are in sip.conf’s general section and nat=yes

I try not to do any NAT-ing because it is painful and time consuming to figure out - there are so many points of failure with any voip call, let alone having NAT issues.

Thanks, Chris!

The issue seems to be a kind of a mystery. In fact I had both of “externip” and “localnet” specified along with “nat=yes”.

However, without any changes made to confs within 2 days it started working normally. Till the day :smile:

make sure you have canreinvite=no and a qualify=3000 or so set in the sip.conf

Ian,

these were set from the very beginning as well.

Hi

Are both locations behind NAT ? if they are then you see , voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … +solutions , option 4

Ian

Ian,

many thanks for the link and your assistance, indeed, both locations are behind NATs.

But the puzzle is that sip.conf was made only once! And after 2 days of audio problems it started working normally as it should from the beginning :smile:

I had something similar - got a config working, and then stopped mysteriously…

my guess is that it was linked to the stun server, which was the only element not under my control !

I eventually solved the problem by disabling STUN (using ZOIPER) playing with the externip, localnet AND fromdomain parameters… testing one with the other, etc… it eventually worked with externip = public IP of the network of the A* box, localnet = local network adress of the A* box, and fromdomain=local network adress of the A*

hope this helps,

j.