Asterix for a prop phone system / escape room

I’m building an interactive prop telephone for a phone booth in a British pub. Guests will dial fictional numbers to hear recordings, and staff will trigger incoming calls that play a recording when someone answers. Maybe we can add in a mystery that gets solved over multiple calls over time. One way to think of this project is as an escape room.

I have done this in the past by installing an arduino in an old payphone, but this time I thought of connecting the existing analog telephone to a Grandstream HT801 v2 and running Asterisk on a Raspberry Pi. Maybe build a small web interface to:

  • Upload and manage recordings.

  • Map fictional numbers to recordings.

  • Trigger calls and stop them.

  • Show whether the phone is idle, ringing, or answered.

Does this make sense or is there an easier way? A few questions:

  1. What OS and Asterisk version would you recommend for a Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB or 4GB RAM?

  2. For a simple web page that triggers calls, selects recordings, and shows phone status, what is the easiest way to control Asterisk?

  3. Are there existing open-source projects providing a similar interface?

  4. Any pitfalls with the HT801 v2 for ringing, audio playback, or hangup detection?

All suggestions are very welcome. The idea at the end is that the staff can maintain and configure the numbers and recordings over time. I’m doing this for fun, not as a commercial project.

You can use POTSBox if you like —

A few people have set up escape rooms that have different phones and clues involved with characters from the Maltise Falcon and that turns out to be a lot of fun!

[

Plain Old Telephone, Reimagined
pots-box.org

](https://pots-box.org/)

On Sep 28, 2026, at 2:53 PM, PhilippeThunderbolt notifications@asterisk.discoursemail.com wrote:

PhilippeThunderbolt
September 28

I’m building an interactive prop telephone for a phone booth in a British pub. Guests will dial fictional numbers to hear recordings, and staff will trigger incoming calls that play a recording when someone answers. Maybe we can add in a mystery that gets solved over multiple calls over time. One way to think of this project is as an escape room.

I have done this in the past by installing an arduino in an old payphone, but this time I thought of connecting the existing analog telephone to a Grandstream HT801 v2 and running Asterisk on a Raspberry Pi. Maybe build a small web interface to:

  • Upload and manage recordings.

  • Map fictional numbers to recordings.

  • Trigger calls and stop them.

  • Show whether the phone is idle, ringing, or answered.

Does this make sense or is there an easier way? A few questions:

  1. What OS and Asterisk version would you recommend for a Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB or 4GB RAM?

  2. For a simple web page that triggers calls, selects recordings, and shows phone status, what is the easiest way to control Asterisk?

  3. Are there existing open-source projects providing a similar interface?

  4. Any pitfalls with the HT801 v2 for ringing, audio playback, or hangup detection?

All suggestions are very welcome. The idea at the end is that the staff can maintain and configure the numbers and recordings over time. I’m doing this for fun, not as a commercial project.


Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Wow, that looks awesome. I appreciate the heads-up as none of my searching found this - I will give it a go and see if this fits the bill. Open to any other suggestions.

Thanks, I made it, you know…for the kids!

If you are new to the idea you can get an auto-configuring box or just put a URL into a grandstream you might already have and the Operator can set it up for you - what I love about this is that the Operator picks up the phone when you pick up, so you can use an early candlestick without a dial and she can transfer calls!

[

From the potsbox community on Reddit: Release 4.1 And Fancy Auto-Configure Operator is Here!
reddit.com

](https://www.reddit.com/r/potsbox/comments/1wlgnsw/release_41_and_fancy_autoconfigure_operator_is/)

People have done a lot of creative and fun things. You can share them in the “yellow pages” —

Enjoy!

On Sep 28, 2026, at 3:28 PM, PhilippeThunderbolt notifications@asterisk.discoursemail.com wrote:

PhilippeThunderbolt
September 28

Wow, that looks awesome. I appreciate the heads-up as none of my searching found this - I will give it a go and see if this fits the bill. Open to any other suggestions.


Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Seems relevant – yet not posted it before on the forums :thinking: – definitely Allison’s voice on several of these “VOCS Telephone System” destinations at the Meow Wolf exhibit in Denver :grinning_cat_with_smiling_eyes: