Check my setup before I buy?

I have been interested in using Asterisk to run a small home PBX setup for a while now. I was hoping some benevolent, knowledgeable user could let me know if my plan will work before I go and buy a load of non-compatible equipment! :stuck_out_tongue:

The plan is:

[ul]
[]Asterisk server running on a Raspberry Pi[/]
[]A Linksys PAP2T-NA with a phone connected to it.[/]
[/ul]

Both of these on a NATā€™d network connected to the same router. Then renting a number from a UK SIP provider so that people can actually call the setup.

SO my first question is, will that work? Iā€™ve read some setup guides for the PAP2T-NA that mention letting the Asterisk server handle communications with the outside worldā€¦ will this setup suffice or is some kinda of network bridge situation required with the server splitting the PAP2T-NA off from the rest of the network? (In which case, a Raspberry Pi will be largely unsuitable for the job).

Follow up questions

If that will work, then:

Will the PAP2T-NA be able to make an old rotary phone ring? Iā€™ve converted mine so it has a standard UK phone plug on the end and rings off the UK telephone network, but can a PAP2T-NA generate the required 60V+ AC ringing current for it?

Can I somehow also get my Asterisk server to make a mobile ring when it (the server) recieves a call? That way, I can set up my own google voice type service and have my home phone and mobile ring off the same number.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this, and especially to anyone who responds!

Cheers

David

Using a Raspberry Pi will limit your calls to maximum 4 simultaneous calls.

Yes you can use an Ata o use your analog phone.

PAP2T is a wide used ata in asterisk so i dont think you will have problems.

Yes the pap can make ring your phone.

[quote=ā€œzerocool42ā€]
Can I somehow also get my Asterisk server to make a mobile ring when it (the server) recieves a call? That way, I can set up my own google voice type service and have my home phone and mobile ring off the same number.[/quote]

If you have a smartphone you can download a sip client and register to your asterisk and then receive calls in your mobile.

Thank you for taking the time to help me! Itā€™s great to have this level of confidence going into the project! Now I canā€™t wait to get started! :smile: