Asterisk Voice mail messages cut off after ~25 seconds

My Asterisk voice mail started exhibiting the strange behavior of consistently cutting off callers voice mail messages after about 25 seconds. Any ideas??

Thanks, Mike.

did you check voicemail.conf to see if maxmessage parameter got set somehow?

I’m seeing the same cut off problems. I have checked the voicemail config files and that are all in order.

Hi

This is a very common problem, The cals will be Direct voip calls I assume ?

If they are the reason is that you have not setup your asterisk.conf correctly for the behaviour of your suppliers gateway.

Basicly your suppliers gateway is expecting to recieve rtp packets, if it doesnt it will drop the call, This is standard behavior, if it didnt do this and say your network failed midcall you would be billed for a “very” long call as no messages would be recived. So they look for rtp traffic.

to cure it add

[options]
transmit_silence_during_record = yes

to your asterisk.conf

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

This is a very common problem, The cals will be Direct voip calls I assume ?

Ian[/quote]

Actually, all my calls come in on pots lines.

[quote=“ianplain”]
If they are the reason is that you have not setup your asterisk.conf correctly for the behaviour of your suppliers gateway.

Basicly your suppliers gateway is expecting to recieve rtp packets, if it doesnt it will drop the call, This is standard behavior, if it didnt do this and say your network failed midcall you would be billed for a “very” long call as no messages would be recived. So they look for rtp traffic.

to cure it add

[options]

to your asterisk.conf

Ian[/quote]

Would this help for pots lines as well?

Since my post, I have upgraded asterisk from 1.4.2 to 1.4.4. I haven’t gotten a message since the upgrade so I’m not sure if that has helped any just yet.

Ok.

Two things, It shouldnt happen on pots calls. and make the change anyway.

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Ok.

Ian[/quote]

LOL. ok. I have added it and restarted asterisk. I’ll report any changes, or lack there of, as soon as I have more info.

I’m having the same issue, where callers calls in and goes to voicemail, callers leaves voicemail. When we listen to the voicemail, it plays it, but then it seems like it got cut off. And it happens randomly, not all voicemail happens this way.

Thanks
slixx

We are also having this same problem. There are some voicemail messages that are fine and others get cut off. I put the following code in my asterisk.conf file and I will let you know if this fixes it.

Thanks for the help
Blake

[options]

[quote=“jdehnert”][quote=“ianplain”]Ok.

Ian[/quote]

LOL. ok. I have added it and restarted asterisk. I’ll report any changes, or lack there of, as soon as I have more info.[/quote]

OK, It seems we are still having our voice mail cut off before it should be even after all of the changes. Any other suggestions out there?

I have updated to 1.4.8 and we are still seeing voicemail cut offs. It is happening to the calles when they call in and it’s getting to the point where we will need to abandon Asterisk for something else. For the record all we use are POTS lines and SIP phones.

I’ll be happy to re-post any config files if anyone has a clue to what’s going on here.

Hi

Have you tried altering the silence threshold? does it happen to all calls ? if it only happens to some is it possible to post an example of one that cuts off. It may be that the background noise is similar to the voice so it sounds like on flat volume and as such considered silence.

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Have you tried altering the silence threshold? does it happen to all calls ? if it only happens to some is it possible to post an example of one that cuts off. It may be that the background noise is similar to the voice so it sounds like on flat volume and as such considered silence.

Ian[/quote]

I just added

silencethreshold = 192

so we’ll see if that helps any. There was no line in the voicemail config file before, so it must have been running at 128.

I will get an example message and post it here as soon as I can.

It does NOT happen on all messages.

Here is a sample message

sonic.net/~dehnert/msg0002.wav

Hi

OK it cuts off mid speech!!!. But TBH its faint, COuld you post you voicemail.conf (dont bother with the user mailboxs) just the settings.

Also run ztmonitor and fire a call in to see the level. It might help to add a bit of gain to the calls.

Ian

Here is the voicemail.conf

I just added the silencethreshold = 192 yesterday.

[general]
maxsilence = 10
silencethreshold = 192
;maxmessage = 180
sendvoicemail = yes
envelope = no
serveremail = voicemail@domain.com
; Announce caller's number before playing message 
saycid = no
; Define the internal contexts for the caller ID reporting 
; function so that it says "from extension" for internal calls. 
cidinternalcontexts = house_local,house_toll,house_admin

[default]
602 => XXXX,James Dehnert,jdehnert@domain.com,,

So, the silence threshold seems to have resolved the problem.!!

Thanks for all the assistance.

I am running Asterisk-1.2.13 on FreeBSD-6.1 server and I’m noticing a similar intermittent problem with voicemails. Most of them come in loud and clear, but my girlfriend often talks quietly when she leaves me messages and hers seem to be the only ones getting cut off. The problem is that sometimes she doesn’t change her tone at all and it will leave 2 and 3 minute long messages. Other times she only gets through about 10 seconds and then * whacks her message.

The only thing I could see to change was maxsilence which is supposed to default to zero, which means it will never timeout. But the stock voicemail.conf file has a line in it that sets maxsilence to 10. I commented this line out and I’m still waiting to see if that fixed anything.

More to come…!

Running Asterisk 1.8.9.3, maxsilence caused a big problem for us.

; How many seconds of silence before we end the recording
maxsilence=0
; The default is no minimum.
minsecs=4
; Silence threshold (what we consider silence: the lower, the more sensitive)
silencethreshold=128

Disabling maxsilence fixed it for us. With max silence set to 10 seconds, it seems like any VM under 10 seconds were being discarded! Our issue was not the same as reported here but revolve around these 3 settings.