Asterisk service keeps freezing

Hi,
I have two asterisk servers which runs two small call centers and one of them keeps freezing. Both servers are Dell PowerEdge 1950s and both have got exactly the same OS and software versions. (Ubuntu 8.04.1, Asterisk 1.4.22, Freepbx 2.5.0.1).

Eventhough, both servers are identical, when I look at the processes table I can see asterisk runs two different ways on two servers.
This is what I get when i do a ps -aux

(On the server which runs normally)
root 27646 0.3 0.4 566892 19148 ? Ssl Oct09 17:25 /usr/sbin/asterisk

(On the server which keeps failing every couple of hours)
root 5609 0.0 0.0 17404 744 ? S 08:12 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk
asterisk 5614 8.1 0.4 507764 18920 ? Sl 08:12 2:25 /usr/sbin/asterisk -f -U asterisk -G asterisk -vvvg -c

When the asterisk service is frozen I cannot restart the service or even kill the process. The only possible way to get the service up is a system reboot.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

safe_asterisk will re-instate a killed asterisk. Are you sure it it really not killable, rather than being automatically restarted.

On Unix-like systems, processes normally only become not killable when some critical device driver (or other kernel code) fails. That will normally show up in the process status in ps -l; a hint of the driver may also show up in wchan, in Linux.

I am not sure if you can attach gdb, under such conditions, but if you can, you should do so, and get backtraces.

With the information here, one can only really say get the necessary information (e.g. see the bug reporting guidelines at bugs.digium.com) and come back with that.

Note that your ps output looks like neither ps -l nor ps -f, so I don’t know what the fields are.