Asterisk Server - handle 500 Concurrent Calls Details

Hi jcolp,

Now my server configuration handling about 100 concurrent calls and i am using asterisk version 15 in centos 7

I need help regarding server specification to handle 500 concurrent calls in asterisk.

1. Server hardware specification details
  2. which Asterisk version to use

Any other specification i need to know?

Please reply as soon as possible

What kind of hardware are you using right now?

I’d say that the hardware requirements depend on the details of the dialplan and other configurations, rather than Asterisk by itself. Given the current hardware, one could be able to extrapolate a bit.

Currently we are using aws with the following instance specifications:
General purpose instance (t2.large)
vCPUs : 2
Memory : 8GB RAM

My CPU usage according to AWS is only around 4%, But asterisk utilization seems to go up to 95% when 100 calls were connected.

Are you running Cockpit on your Centos 7 system? Add the storage module and you should get a nice overview. Generally I’d assume that the network is the most critical component, since normally Asterisk does not write a lot to disk.

We are not running Cockpit but we can use this and test.

Thanks @EkFudrek

Which one is more efficient to use SIP OR PJSIP in asterisk?

Is there any between these two while handling concurrent calls?

Can’t say that, but I’d not use chan_sip anymore, though pjsip may be initially a bit cumbersome. Depending on your environment, pjsip may be the only way to go, in case you need advanced DNS lookups using NAPTR and complete SRV queries. There may be other areas where pjsip may also be more future-proof.

Cockpit is simple and cool, :). Do not forget to enable “Store Metrics”.

Ok Thanks for the reply @EkFudrek

Can i use asterisk load balancer to maintain the load balance between the asterisk servers or which is the best way to use the load balance ( call) between the servers with the same configuration

I have no experience with Asterisk load balancing, but I have started to have a close look at Kamailio, so this might be something that gets you started:
https://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/asterisk:load-balancing-and-ha

Personally, I like the idea to fiddle with the DNS server and work with SRV or even NAPTR records, which would also give something like a high availability system through the various priorities and weights of the offered servers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.