Asterisk+OpenSER installed, now what?

Dear Asterisk experts (like IronHelix and baconbuttie):

I have recently installed asterisk and integrated with the OpenSER in a debian sarge3.0rc2 box as instructed here: voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page_id=3367

1. I am a bit confused how to run this mahcine start working in realtime. Let me state frankly that I worked a bit with TrixBox and baconbuttie’s kind advice inspired me to start from the very bottom i.e. base.

2. Also, whether I need to install some proxy like rtpproxy or mediaproxy in order to overcome the NAT problem with SIP? And I expect advise from asterisk experts here which one to choose from?

3. Or is it wise to have two boxes, one for SER or openSER and the other for asterisk?

Expert advise solicited.

Hi,

Although I am not an expert, I have some familiarity with OpenSER/Asterisk. If you have your own DNS Server or access to a DNS server, then use mediaproxy. I do not know your network background, but i am assuming you have static ip addresses none-the-less. If you are only planning on using openSer/Asterisk for your own LAN, you should not need rtpproxy or mediaproxy, it really depends on your plans for your system and your network. But I am also assuming from your statement regarding overcoming NAT problem…, that you will have SIP phones on various networks, so then yes you will need either rtpproxy/mediaproxy. If you do not have access to a DNS server, then I would suggest you use rtpproxy – but I understand your need to hear it from the experts.

You can definitely set up OpenSER/SER sip router and Asterisk server on one machine.

Cheers!

Thanks a world tlofton1000.

I have installed the asterisk+openSER and rtpproxy. The openSER does not start but says there are 5 configuration errors. Could you share your configuration file? So that I can make necessary changes?

And when I execute asterisk on the command shell, it runs without any errors, but when I do asterisk -r for asteriskCLI, it gives the following error:
“Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /var/run/asterisk.ctl exist?)”

Could you explain me how to start now with the asterisk? How I can link the current debian machine with asterisk+OpenSER+rtpproxy with anotherTrixbox machine? In the latter case of integrationn with Trixbox, what are the conf files that I need to reconfigure? I meant internet>>router where openser+rtpproxy server’s ports are opened as a registra and proxy>>asterisk server for handling pbx stuffs. How can I achieve this?

I need some explicit guidance how to start with asterisk and OpenSER without web interface. Help solicited from the experts.

Hi Zenny,

Your setup is different than mine (as i use mediaproxy - DNS server). Also, before you attempt to integrate since you already have had * up and running before, just concentrate on openSER without * to get it up and running. Before you enhance openSER with rtpproxy, you should try running it with a simplified version of openser.cfg (ie. auth-mysql.cfg), to experience how it works and then enhance it. If not, try it with a simplied version, see how it works, what type of response you get, if it starts, etc. Then if you see one error fix it and then grow into rtpproxy.cfg. Also, I am assuming you have openSER/Asterisk on same machine and then A@H on another machine? I am also assuming that you prepared all of the database data, created realtime views, installed the ODBC driver, etc., for the integration.

I think that prior to even discussing connecting to your other machine (Trixbox of which I have never used), work on one issue at a time, like the integration of openSER/* on the one machine (if my assumption is correct). What errors you receive when starting openser, attack this issue, then attack the integration, then attack the remote connect.

Note, explicit advice, as stated in prior post, i am not an expert but have some familiarity, you will have to wait on the experts for explicit info. I can only tell the parts i am familiar with. You must be patient with the setup you are attacking and in addition to this very helpful forum, you should also visit voipuser.org (for additional openSER assistance - though the forum is not as active as this one - a bit newer) and to view posts, as there are others that have a similiar setup to yours. Also, visit onsip.org to view relevant docs (sample portions relative to your setup) with regards to the ser/openser info.

Cheers!