Asterisk IAX compatible ip phones

Hi all…

I have used iax for the first time interconnecting 3 asterisk box via trunk…very satisfied with it…

I was wondering if is it possible to use normal ip phone to connect remote (single phone) location ?

I have asked my local dealer for iax compatible dect ip phone…but he has none…

Is there any workaround or firmware ? is there a a particular brand iax friendly ?

Thanks

Remote SIP phones are quite commonly used. You need to try and ensure the phones are NAT aware, and failing that, make sure force rport, rewrite contact, and symmetric RTP are set.

Hi David…thanks for support…

i have read about iax phone registration…is not a way to do ?
just not to expose too much asterisk box to hacking…

Very few people use IAX these days.

It’s a shame, so user friendly with NAT. We use it as soon as we can. For IAX phones, you can use Zoiper softphone. We also have some AT320 hardware phones, don’t know if they still for sale.

IAX2 is typically used for trunking, not phones.

There were a few things that aimed to change that (e.g. the IAXy), but never gained much traction.

IAX2 still sees a decent amount of usage, but it’s all for exactly what the protocol was written for: Inter-Asterisk trunking, not Asterisk to IP phone trunking.

Did you try softphone on mobile phone ? Zoiper/IAX is for far the winner for us.

No…I knew about it…but customer ask for dect…

I solved adding another (mini) pbx with iax trunk…

Not an IP phone per se, but there is also this: http://svn.digium.com/svn/JavaIAXClient/trunk/

Haven’t tested it out, but perhaps of interest if you are looking at IAX clients.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.