IAX and SIP over NAT behind a router

Hi,
I want to build a virtual PBX and I will have numerous client phones on the other side of DSL routers. Is there an easy way to do this?

I am beginning to think that I should use the L2TP VPN client whicvh is built into the phones I am proposing to use.

What are peoples opinions?

Cheers,

Rob.

Currently I see no problem with such setup, especially if your Asterisk has public IP.

For the remote IAX clients you do not have to do anything.
For the remote SIP clients you may use the DSL routers with SIP support (SIP ALG) or use STUN. You can use any public STUN server address or install your own server.

If your Asterisk is behind NAT/firewall then you will need to forward some ports - one you’re using for IAX, one you’re using for SIP and the range of ports you’re using for RTP.

Hi,
Cheers for the reply. I understand about being able to forward the port to the relevant IAX phone on the internal side of the router, but I may have numerous phones on the home side, and being registered to a server on the internet running my Asterisk server.

Like I said, I did think of being able to use a VPN server to get round this little issue.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi,
Cheers for the reply. I understand about being able to forward the port to the relevant IAX phone on the internal side of the router, but I may have numerous phones on the home side, and being registered to a server on the internet running my Asterisk server.

Like I said, I did think of being able to use a VPN server to get round this little issue.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi,

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi,

Cheers,

Rob.

[quote=“brushhead”]Hi,
Cheers for the reply. I understand about being able to forward the port to the relevant IAX phone on the internal side of the router[/quote]

There is no need to forward anything on the client’s side. Please re-read my post. Port forwarding is required on the server’s side if the server located behind NAT/firewall.

There is no issue so far.

Oh great if that’s true then a lrge headache has just dissipated. Also sorry about the multiple replies…seemed to get stuck when leaving my reply!.

Rob.