Asterisk Functionality Question

I have a customer that wants to have 5 VoIP lines in rotary (if a call comes in while line 1 is busy it flicks over to line 2) without using a phone system. I was wondering if Asterisk can do this. Also, this question is not really one for this forum I suppose so if nobody answers it that is fine but I might ask while I’m here, I imagine having 5 VoIP accounts on the one ADSL line would be quite a strain. Does anybody think it would handle it or is it just a pipe dream? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

as far as can you do hunt groups, yes - either write a dial plan to do it, or take a look at AMP/freepbx/Asterisk at Home where they have implemented it.

As far as how many simultaneous calls can you have, do the math based on your minimum (upstream) ADSL bw and your choice of codec. (g711u is 85kbits, do some googling and you can find what it is for the various others - you can get acceptable codecs at 30kits.

p

LONG WAIT TIME IN QUEUE EVEN THOUGH AGENTS ARE AVAILABLE.

We noticed Asterisk queue searches for agents ONE AT A TIME. This is too slow for systems where more than 5 agents answer calls. All of a sudden 20 people may call 20 available agents, and the system should ideally ring all 20 agents simultaneously with 20 separate calls coming through.

We have had situations that 10 people are holding in queue for a long time (5+min) if only one agent doesn’t answer (e.g. bathroom break). The system is set to rotate to another agent if the agent doesn’t answer the call within 15 sec. This means the 10th’s person still waits over 150 seconds even though there are plenty agents available waiting calls.

I am not certain if “hunt group” calls agents simultaneously, but I know that Queue doesn’t. This should be implemented asap.

Please let me know if there is currently a way to do this. Thanks you

Queues using the ‘ringall’ strategy would do that, no?

Hi

AFAIK this was changed in 1.4.18 so setting autofill=yes makes the queue delivery in parallel fashion

Ian

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

AFAIK this was changed in 1.4.18 so setting autofill=yes makes the queue delivery in parallel fashion

Ian[/quote]

Thank you ianplain. This is what we needed :smiley: I’ll test it.

Batram. ringall would just ring every extension and connects the first one. It’s very distracting for all agents to keep picking up the phone and hanging up when there are many people waiting.

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Ian[/quote]

Ian, is this only for queues.cnf? can we also put it for hunt/ring groups?

hi it goes in queues.conf

Thank you so much for your quick responses. Do you know if ring group / hunt group calls agents in parallel by default? Also, do you think it’s a good idea to make “autofill=yes” default behavior for Queues?

Below keywords are for others can find this thread easily by searching – I spent hours looking for the right place to post my concern.

Queue ring group hunt group
concurrent simultaneous parallel calls to agents