Asterisk.ctl exists, but unable to connect

I’m trying to install asterisk 1.6.2.10 as non-root from source on a voyage linux platform (v0.6.5).
Asterisk is installed to /home/asterisk/asterisk-bin, and I can connect to it with ‘asterisk -rvvv’ as user asterisk when the complete system is in r/w.

This is asterisk when run in r/w mode:

== Parsing '/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/asterisk/asterisk.conf': == Found == Parsing '/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/asterisk/extconfig.conf': == Found Connected to Asterisk 1.6.2.10 currently running on vpbxah1 (pid = 8990) Verbosity was 0 and is now 3 -- Remote UNIX connection vpbxah1*CLI>

This is the content of the astrundir folder:

vpbxah1:/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/run/asterisk# ls -l total 4 srwxr-xr-x 1 asterisk asterisk 0 2010-08-17 19:49 asterisk.ctl -rw-r--r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 5 2010-08-17 19:49 asterisk.pid

Problems arise when I set the system to read-only, and try to restart asterisk. Asterisk complains that it is unable to connect:

== Parsing '/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/asterisk/asterisk.conf': == Found == Parsing '/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/asterisk/extconfig.conf': == Found Unable to connect to remote asterisk (does /home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)

Nevertheless, the astrundir folder is added as read/write, and asterisk.ctl and asterisk.pid are both written to the folder.

vpbxah1:/home/asterisk/asterisk-bin/run/asterisk# ls -l total 4 srwxr-xr-x 1 asterisk asterisk 0 2010-08-17 19:51 asterisk.ctl -rw-r--r-- 1 asterisk asterisk 5 2010-08-17 19:51 asterisk.pid

When I start asterisk in r/w mode, and then turn the system into read-only, I get following warning:

vpbxah1:~# remountrw vpbxah1:~# /etc/init.d/asterisk start Starting Asterisk PBX: asterisk. vpbxah1:~# remountro mount: / is busy vpbxah1:~#

Is there some other folder which also needs to be read/write?