Asterisk call files are forgotten or orphaned?

I’ve seen older Asterisk posts at various sites talking about call files not getting processed by Asterisk if there are too many such files in a folder. Or, sometimes Asterisk just “forgets” to process a call file. Does anyone know if this behavior still occurs in recent versions of Asterisk? Are there ways to avoid the situation?
Thanks.

I’ve had different versions of asterisk 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 pushing large number of call files. I’ve never really had a problem with them not processing due to the number of files or by time(unless creation date is in the future but that’s meant to do that). Of course could have been an issue but maybe I never noticed.

With 1.8 I have definitely have had 4000 or so backed up calls files due to me shutting down asterisk but when I bring it back up it attempts to push them all out. I do get a large number of failures since the SIP provider doesn’t handle a very large number of channels at one time but they at least error our correctly and don’t just not process or disappear.