Asteisk stable 1.0.9 installed from source tar on suse 9.3

Hi,
I am having issues installing asterisk version 1.0.9 on suse 9.3 when i compile the asteisk i get the following error,

any ideas

gcc -shared -Xlinker -x -o chan_modem.so chan_modem.o
gcc -pipe -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -g -Iinclude -I…/include -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -O6 -march=i686 -DZAPTEL_OPTIMIZATIONS -DASTERISK_VERSION=“1.0.8” -DINSTALL_PREFIX="" -DASTETCDIR="/etc/asterisk" -DASTLIBDIR="/usr/lib/asterisk" -DASTVARLIBDIR="/var/lib/asterisk" -DASTVARRUNDIR="/var/run" -DASTSPOOLDIR="/var/spool/asterisk" -DASTLOGDIR="/var/log/asterisk" -DASTCONFPATH="/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf" -DASTMODDIR="/usr/lib/asterisk/modules" -DASTAGIDIR="/var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin" -DBUSYDETECT_MARTIN -Wno-missing-prototypes -Wno-missing-declarations -DZAPATA_PRI -DIAX_TRUNKING -DCRYPTO -fPIC -c -o chan_sip.o chan_sip.c
chan_sip.c:9271: internal compiler error: output_operand: invalid expression as operand
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://www.suse.de/feedback for instructions.
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:123313: Warning: partial line at end of file ignored
Preprocessed source stored into /tmp/ccHlX7H6.out file, please attach this to your bugreport.
make[1]: *** [chan_sip.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/development/asterisk1.0.8/asterisk-1.0.8/channels’
make: *** [subdirs] Error 1

It’s an internal compiler error - i.e., the compiler is the problem, not the source code.

I’d suggest you submit a full bug report, with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See URL:http://www.suse.de/feedback for instructions.

Alternatively, you could try installing a different version of the compiler - but that may not be easy to do.

Another possibility might be to use a more recent version of Asterisk in the hope that the bit of code that the compiler doesn’t like isn’t there any more. Try the v1.2 CVS-head.