About Asterisk and IAX2

Hi all,

I’m very new to Asterisk… And now I’m little confusing about it.

Can you pls tell if a phone support Asterisk, can we say it must support IAX2?

:smiley: Thank you very much!

Faye

voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+IAX+clients

Thank you! I’m going to learn the link now…

No, a phone doesn’t have to support IAX2 to support Asterisk.

However, it depends what you mean by “support Asterisk”. If you mean it works with Asterisk, then a phone definitely doesn’t have to support IAX2 to work with Asterisk. All SIP phones should be able to work with Asterisk - as well as some other phones.

No, a phone doesn’t have to support IAX2 to support Asterisk.

However, it depends what you mean by “support Asterisk”. If you mean it works with Asterisk, then a phone definitely doesn’t have to support IAX2 to work with Asterisk. All SIP phones should be able to work with Asterisk - as well as some other phones.[/quote]

Thank you! Can you pls tell if a SIP phone or adapter does not currently work with Asterisk PBX systerm, what can be done to make the phone or adapter work? For example, is the requirement modification done on the PBX only or both phone and PBX or phone only?
What is the difference between Asterisk and IAX2? :blush:

Asterisk will have to be configured for the phone or ATA and the phone or ATA will have to be configured for Asterisk. You will need to read the information at

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … nfig+files

and perhaps

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phones

Also, if you are serious about Asterisk then you should read the whole of this book

voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … +Telephony

Asterisk is PBX software, IAX2 is a VOIP protocol.

Thanks a lot :smiley: