A@H on a single line with only a PCI modem

Hi,
Am about to install and use Asterisk@Home on a PC that has only a PCI internal modem as a phone connection. Wikipedia’s handbook on A@H describes connecting to voip providers, getting A@H to work having static IP and so on, while what I would like to do with A@H is just plain fun: plug the phone line in and use some IVR, call redirection and sending SMS from A@H box. Can I do just that with no special hardware (only the internal modem)? Will my A@H system work at all without connecting to voip provider at all? Any good text on this subject ?

To have a base install and have some fun, I hope you have a microphone and speakers. Unfortunately, I don’t believe that a PCI modem card will work.

If you have the mic and speakers, jump over to a voip provider like junction network and buy $10 worth of credit. I have found them to be very helpful.

If you are new with asterisk - you might try the asterisk at home (freepbx) as it is called now. Simple and easy to setup - web interface.

Have fun at the beach.

Brad

if you are saying that your system has no pci slots (or no free slots) and you do want to connect a phone line to it (thus you need an fxo slot), it can be done with an ATA such as the Sipura SPA3000 (which would also give you one FXS slot to plug in an analog phone as a extension). Or if you have a free slot and just want to play, there are cheap pci cards available (cheap not just in price though…).

p

[quote=“p_lindheimer”]if you are saying that your system has no pci slots (or no free slots) and you do want to connect a phone line to it (thus you need an fxo slot)…Or if you have a free slot and just want to play, there are cheap pci cards available (cheap not just in price though…).

p[/quote]
I have PCI slots available on my machine, that is not an issue, but what I ask is whether it is possible to have some Asterisk functionality (namely IVR and SMS) without investing in specialized hardware, only with the dial-up modem used every day for connecting to internet…

if you don’t have broadband, VoIP really isn’t an option. However, you can have pstn calls come into your box with the right fxo pci card or ata and do IVRs. I haven’t used SMS, but a dial-up line should be fine for that as well.

p

[quote=“p_lindheimer”]…However, you can have pstn calls come into your box with the right fxo pci card or ata and do IVRs. I haven’t used SMS, but a dial-up line should be fine for that as well.

p[/quote]
Sounds like just the thing I am looking for… any suggestions on the cards? Links to usefull tutorials on how to set the system up (after I install A@H)?
P.S. The “Digium X100P card is 10$” myth lives no more: I am looking at the bids now and the lowest bid is $9.99 + $14.99 shipping with more than 3 days for bidding (and price likely to go up)…

there are third party cheap nockoffs (good enought to play with, not for anything real though) for about $25 last I looked around. If you want a ‘real’ solution that is good enough to use and also gives you one fxs (analog phone extension), I’d suggest a Sipura SPA 3000 ata (1fxs, 1fxo) - it’ll run you about $90 or so.

p

How to establish which chipset is the modem based on? Is it written on the motherboard itself?