11.8.1 install errors

I just went through an install via the instructions found here on a fresh CentOS 6.5 box.
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … n+CentOS+6

I skipped DAHDI and libPRI as this is a SIP only IVR server.
No errors in the asterisk install, but when i go to start the server it does not recognize it as a service:

# service asterisk start asterisk: unrecognized service

there is not an /etc/init.d/asterisk file

FYI I did the same thing last month with 11.7.0 and did not run into this issue, everything just worked.

Is there a different install instruction? What additional info can i provide/look at to figure out whats going on? where can i find the tarball for 11.7.0?
thanks!
Jon

This guide could help you blogs.digium.com/2012/11/05/how- … -centos-6/

I followed that guide exactly, The only difference is that I did a yum install of my specific kernel version, which I had to do to get dahdi working. I think this is because I am on a digitalOcean virtual machine (but I am not sure).
Again no errors, everything installs great but the asterisk service and /etc/init.d/asterisk are not created

[root@ivr2 asterisk-11.8.1]# uname -r
2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64
[root@ivr2 asterisk-11.8.1]# yum install kernel-devel
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centosc6.centos.org
 * extras: centosc6.centos.org
 * updates: centosz3.centos.org
Setting up Install Process
Package kernel-devel-2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[root@ivr2 asterisk-11.8.1]# yum install kernel-devel-2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64

You might contact the digitalOcean tech support department, maybe they could be blocking the service on their digitalOcean virtual machines.

i got around it by using yum
fyi this is for a 64 bit system

yum update -y
 reboot now
 yum install dnsmasq 
 rpm -Uvh http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/6/current/x86_64/RPMS/asterisknow-version-3.0.0-1_centos6.noarch.rpm
 yum update
 yum install asterisk asterisk-configs --enablerepo=asterisk-11
  service asterisk start